Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBX or Telco? Help with dial tone after completing the number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allenness

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2010
US
Greetings,

I have an Option 11 PBX and experiencing an intermittent issue with dial tone popping up immediately after completing the last digit when dialing a number (using 2008 and 2616 units). As soon as the last digit is pressed, it just goes back to dial tone instead of connecting. Sometimes it takes 4-5 times for a call to go through, sometimes it only happens once. It is very sporadic and there's no particular pattern. Some days are worse than others. I am trying to figure out if this is a PBX issue, or a Telco issue.

Smart jack has recently been replaced and telco replaced some cards in the IAD (?) unit for troubleshooting purposes. Problem persists. PBX vendor examined the equipment and found nothing... this has been going on for a couple of years.

Any tips / assistance in pin-pointing this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I should be going after the PBX vendor or the Telco. Unfortunately, we have no service contract with PBX vendor, so any involvement from them will cost a pretty penny.

Thanks in advance!

I have experienced this before and for me it was a CLID issue. I was sending inccorect CLID and I got dialtone back from the carrier.

Once I corrected the CLID the problem was resolved.

Check your CLID and see if it isn't wrong on the affected sets.

Hmm... that seems to affect everyone. Any chance you might be able to explain what exactly CLID is or how I check it?

Thanks!

Is it Internal or External dialtone

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Sorry, I'm not sure I can distinguish them... possibly internal.

When you get the dialtone see if you can dial an extension

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

I'll try it next time it happens and will report back. Thanks!

I had a similar situation a short while ago...

Turned out it was the universal trunk card in the Opt 11. (analogue lines)

It wasn't passing/processing DTMF tones. A reseat of the card did not solve the problem. As an interm fix the trunk was moved to another TN and the faulty TN was flagged.

I guess you're going to be late tonight. You said 'smart jack', so it must me a T-1. You need to test each trunk, one by one. Disable all of them, then enable each one, and make test calls on that trunk. If one fails, that's the one. Don't enable all of them till you find that baby. Suspect the card too. Check that routing. It may be routing to that one 911 analog trunk you have. Yeah, it could be the carrier but you want to check EVERYTHING before you make that call again. Especially if this has been happening a couple of years. If you vendor has already done this, make the call. My customer would have my axx.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back