Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBX options

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD5150

Programmer
Aug 25, 2004
US

Hello All,

I'm new to PBX systems and need a quick research starting point.

Can anyone make a quick suggestion as to what brands/models might support the following requirements?

- We currently have 4 phone lines coming into the building, but would get more if needed.
- We plan to grow to about 40-50 extensions. Maybe 60 max, but probably not.
- We're going to use Vonage, but would still like VoIP capabilities in our PBX, even if not used at this point.
- Ethernet accessible configuration: http or Windows software.
- Good tech support would be nice.
- And all the basic features...attendant, voice-mail, call-handling, and etc.

Question:
Do they make units with 24 or 32 built-in extensions? I don't want to have too many chained units. We just went through hell with our TalkSwitch system and are hoping to
possibly find only 2 chained units that can utilize 40-50 extensions. Does this exist?

I realize that these are very basic requirements, but any tips would be great. Thanks. Greatly appreciated it.

Mike

Most systems will have a tcp/up interface. Some, live Index only need telnet, which comes with wndows, whereas others, such as Hipath or IP office need a specific GUI (program) installed. If you are only using 4 lines at the moment, but plan on going to 40-50 extns, you should have ISDN 2e limes installed (guessing you are uk?), but probalby on a card with capacity for 8 of these (up to 16 lines).

You probably wont need to chain any usnits together, you should just make sure that the system you buy can be upgraded to support 50 extns. Most newer system will support VoIP, but you will need to determine how much you wan tto use this, ie if you want to hve softphones, IP trunking, or to have hard phones running through your hubs and switches.....

You're planning on using Vonage yet you list good tech support as one of your requirements? ;-) Isn't that an oxymoron? I would not recommend using Vonage for your business. If you want to use provider-based VoIP for your business, pick a real provider. It may cost a bit more but do you really want to place your buiness in the hands of a company like Vonage?

vonage is a great company, if it works, without any tech support. and if you don't mind asking "are you still there" 1000's of times a day.. i would use it at home, as a back up line, for cheap ld, if i didn't have a cell. your looking for a key system or a very small pbx. nortel bcm, very good system voip and/or tdm.. but in that line size, there are a lot of good products out there.. nortel option 11, starts a little larger then your quote, but can grow to 1000 stations, with voip interface.. but for a simple user system, look at avaya for that line size

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The chaining of units is not something to worry about with a traditional phone system. Units that "chain" together like talkswitch or bizfon are designed for end user installs, and as you have probably discovered, the expansion capacity is limited, no matter what the manufacturer may claim.

As for good tech support: with talkswitch or bizfon you may be used to contacting the manufacturer directly. It does not work that way with a traditional phone system. With a traditional phone system the tech support is provided by the vendor that you purchase the system from. This is one of the most important aspects: choosing a good vendor to provide you with installation and maintenance after the initial setup and training.

There are lots of systems that can do what you need, but the vendor you choose can make the most difference of all.

with that set of requirements i would recomment the 3com NBX100 superstack system.

It comes with a range of options on the incoming lines from a 4 port analogue line card through to E1 cards. For your requirement i would go for the 4 port BRI card which would take upto 4 ISDN2e lines giving upto 8 channels.

Growing to that number of extensions may need a larger number of lines though so it may be better long term to go for an E1 card and get the telephony provider to install a fractional PRI.

It's IP compatable and only requires a liscence to move from MAC address handsets to full IP (including remote site phones)

It's got a web browser based front end which is pretty easy to use.

Phone connection is done through the same Cat5e (cat6 whatever) outlet that your PC uses then your PC plugs into the phone which is handy for saving on numbers of outlets per desk.

if you want more info let me know on derekb@icom.ie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
umm,it IS supposed to do that, right??

Excellent. Thanks for the unit suggestions. I'll look them up.

I'm a little nervous about the Vonage idea now. The features sound great and I've read some good things about them, but if actual user reviews say that it's not as good as it sounds, then I'd be interested in knowing of other good provider-based VoIP solutions.

Mike

VOIP may be the wave of the future, and I would certainly look into a system that is VOIP capable, as most are these days.
HOWEVER, VOIP still suffers from problems with transmission quality. For a normal business, I would strongly suggest staying with a more traditional line arrangement. Perhaps a partial or full T-1. Vonage may be great for the average homeowner who does not mind problems with intermittant static and often poor voice quality, but I would think that, for a business, something more relaible is called for.

Avaya IP Office 406V2 with a DS30 unit. That is a total of 38 digital stations, 2 analog and a built in ethernet hub. You could have up to 6 expansiion modules to add more digitals or analog stations. It has everything you could require and the cost is great. It has IP softphones, IP Hardphones, etc.. You have several voicemail options with attendants. Great conference bridge technologies. If you are US based with that many users, I would recommend a PRI in your future. Once you get between 8 and 11 lines, the PRI is a break even option and will give you 23 channels for voice or data. I agree with the comments about Vonage. Good for home and BAD BAD BAD for business regardless of their claims. Depending on you LD, you could set up least cost routing on the IP Office to use Vonage as your primary long distance lines and still have secondary lines set up as the alternative route for times when Vonage is down. Hope that helped some.

Couple more questions if anyone is still with me on this thread:

1) What is the Avaya DS30 unit mentioned? Can't find anything on that.

2) The 3com NBX100 and the Avaya 406V2 solutions sound great, but I can't seem to find an estimate price range(not including phones).

3) Also, can these systems be used with a broadband connection? We currently have a fractional T1, but it's quite sad getting barely 300kbps download for almost $400 a month! I haven't cut them off yet, but have since installed a Comcast business service and we're now getting an avgerage of 6mpbs for $160 a month.

Would we have to go back to a T1 line if using one of the above 3com/Avaya solutions?

Mike

The DS30 is a digital station 30 phone unit. It will support 30 digital stations. The 406v2 will support 8 digital phones. That would be a total of 38 digital stations and it could expand well beyong your curent and near future needs. As far as the use of broadband, that would require a more in depth discussion. See below for help with that. As well, you can use several forms of IP phones and several digital set types. They also offer an IP Softphone if needed. I can better help you with pricing and a full config if you contact me below. What area are you located in? I have several contacts throughout the nation that would be more than happy to work with you.

cshelton at e-telsystems dot com

not sure where your located but if you go to you can work your way through the site and find a local dealer for the NBX100.

If your in ireland let me know as we can supply those. derekb@icom.ie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
umm,it IS supposed to do that, right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back