Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBL library size

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamicjourney2001

Programmer
May 15, 2003
US
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can find a documentation on size limit of a pb library? I guess it's somewhere around 32MB per library, and after that everytime you'll access that library in the library painter, it GPF.

Have fun!

PB's development environment (IDE) can be a serious memory hog. I think you might be seeing the effects of low memory on your development machine. Presuming that you are developing on a machine that's more or less comparable to what you will install on, that doesn't bode well for your deployed application. In any case, I'd keep the size of pbl files much lower than what you're using. Breaking the size of your libraries down will help PB load your libraries quicker in the development environment and probably result in more efficient use of resources by your compiled application. I like to keep my libraries organized by what functional role the contents play in the application. This can also help at run time since the application will tend to load what's needed rather than the entire application code.

You may actually running into a limitation in PB but I'd recommend you say 'thanks' and take it as a hint to organize your code better.

Your libraries may become harder to navigate if you have several objects in them - not to mention the time it takes to load/read a large DLL/PBD/EXE into memory at runtime. On the other hand, having too many libraries is not going to improve performance either as the runtime has to search all the libraries for a refereced object. I saw a situation where there were over a 100 libraries with a poor performance but when the developer consolidated them to 10 by moving the objects, the performance improved drastically.

Ideally, I would limit my library size to 50-60 objects or under 3 MB.

---
PowerObject!
-----------------------------------------
PowerBuilder / PFC Developers' Group

Thanks. Actually this specific library is not being used anymore, and some developers just kept on saving objects in that library, knowing that the developer who was mantaining that library was regularly cleaning-up the library once the objects moved in our testing phase.
What happened was, when we try to open the library in the library painter, it crashes. Then that was the time we noticed the size of the library.
Just the same, thanks for the replies, i appreciate it.

have fun!

Migration to a higher version might also help since max library space has been adjusted.Worked for me from 6.5 to 7.0. Try it.

Kriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back