Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PB Tracing Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo67

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2003
US
I'm trying to find a tracing utility to identify sluggish code and SQL in a PB app. I've done a Google search for PBTracer and all links lead to dead ends (phone calls, bounced emails).

Can anyone help me find out how to get PBTracer or give me ideas on how to build my own rudimentary one. (Perhaps you've already written one.)

Thanks.

Hi,

There is a profiling tool available from with PB. Look in the help files under 'profiling'. Use the database profiling tools for the SQL, or use the trace log made available by the ODBC drivers. This can be accessed with in the ODBC administration program.

Cheers

Hi, I have also tried to locate the mysterious PBTracer, with no luck. Our company's product, which has been migrated to PB9.0 for our next release, still uses DBLIB and unfortunately, there is a new nasty behavior from the pbtrace utility, which causes the tracing pop-up message box to display with every single connection to the database. In PB 5.0, the tracing message box used to only display once....then we followed some steps to reproduce the problem at hand, and grabbed the pbtrace.log file for analysis of the sql calls and run times.

I reviewed the profiling help, but I'm not sure this will give me the same results I want. Further, our customers will need a simple way to invokve a trace for us as well, just as they have all along, to assist them to resolve their problems.

Any recommendations from anyone out there?

Look in PB Documentation at folowing Functions:

1.TraceOpen
2.TraceEnableActivity
3.TraceBegin
3.TraceEnd
4.TraceClose

Click here:

PB Main Menu->File->New->"Tool" Tab Page->Profiling Class View, Profiling Routine View, Profiling Trace View

----------
gruss aus Deutschland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back