Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pausing a debugger can prevent error messages from being printed

Status
Not open for further replies.

efoss

Technical User
Nov 27, 2005
US
The following is a specific example of a general situation I've run into many times:

I am generating an output file and each line has a key associated with it, say the first non-space part of the input file. I mean to have filled a hash with all the possible keys and values associated with all of them, but I've made some mistakes and forgotten to associate values with some of the keys. I run the script, either on a debugger or a terminal, and I get a bunch of "uninitialized" error messages. I then put in a block in my debugger right before the place where I'm running into trouble asking the script to print a value associated with a non-existant key. I hit "run" a few times and let it hang up at the block each time it has looped through a new line. I see no error messages. I then remove the block and let the script run to the end, and I still see no error messages. If I then look in the output file, the places where I tried to print values associated with non-existant keys are blank, as they should be, but I now have run the whole script without getting any error messages. I've done this many times using both Komodo or Affrus debuggers (Mac OSX). Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks.

Eric

Maybe you are confusing errors with warnings. The message you are getting is a warning caused by using the -w flag or the warnings pragam.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

Yes - you're right, I mean "warnings". Still, why should I get different feedback from Perl depending on whether or not I pause the program a few times while I'm running it?

I don't know why. With no code to see and nothing to run its hard to say. Not that I have Komodo or Affrus to try and emulate what you are doing.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back