Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Path to the CCNA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyforhire

Technical User
Mar 11, 2008
US
Hello All, I am 25 and live in atlanta. I currently have my A+ and my Net+ Certifications and have reccently decided it's time to take on that little guy CCNA.

So far i have been able to dibble and dabble with some of what cisco has. I recently purchased a 2948G switch only to find it's the one of two in the whole world running the CATos and can't be swaped out for IOS but the drift of one to the other is somewhat there (some might say it's day and night). So my lab is on it's way, I got a cheap Cisco Router (2501) witch i really can't use but i can still run commands on it. And today i just put down a buck fifty for a PIX 501. So far so good, I have been eyeballing the 2621 router for my lab as everything I use will be in my house running live. So here are my questions to people who have been down this road before.

If you have your CCNA, how hard was it? From what I have heard so far alot of it has to do with subnetting and routing from a to b and letting c get a taste. But how far will it really go? I love to take on a challenge and so far this is the biggest for me yet so far, I would love just to say that I am CCNA certified but really knowing what to do is 99.9% of the fun of it all :). Pointers Tip's and anything else would be great!

-Road to CCNA day 1-

Subnetting Question.

1 - 126 = Class A

128-191 = Class B

192 - 223 = Class C

So no matter what 10.0.0.x will need to have a subnet of 255.0.0.0 What would happen if i put a class C subnet on a Class A ip address. Would it still work?

Example: 10.0.0.1 - 255.255.255.0

Could it see 10.0.0.2 - 255.255.255.0 because it's on the same subnet or no?

bobbyforhire,

Those are the default subnets for A, B and C networks, yes you can subnet any of them more then the "default" - that is what subnetting is all about!

In your example 10.0.0.1/24 and 10.0.0.2/24 are both in the same subnet and can "see" each other!

10.0.1.1/24 is in a different subnet!

Great website is - website was down but check back it is a great site for subnetting!

I would also suggest that you get the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd L. and read the subnetting section, I think it is Chapter 3 - one of the best chapters on subnetting!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Yes. You would have subnetted the Class A with 16 bits of subnetting added to the original 8 network bits to a 24 bit mask. With this scheme, you've created 65,536 networks from the original Class A. Each of the new subnetworks has 256 addresses with 254 usable for hosts.

I ended up getting the CCNA-CCENT books from The Bryant Advantage. It explains the subnets but i just had the question on weather or you could change the subnet that it's made for (10.0.0.0 = 255.0.0.0 to a 255.255.255.0) and there would be no issues. So there we go!

bobbyforhire,

I do not understand - you said - "I ended up getting the CCNA-CCENT books from The Bryant Advantage. It explains the subnets"

If it explains subnets, then why the question, or have you just not read it yet :)

I would NEVER rely on just 1 book or study material - in my office I counted 42 Cisco books and 15 network books as well as another 6-7 on network security.

I am not saying you need 42 different books :) but 2-3 different CCNA books will give you a wide view of the subject. Several different views on the same material will allow you to understand it in ways you never thought possible.

Just some thoughts based on some of your questions - I want to see you do well!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Sorry, it has multiple books in one package. So far so good.

My question wasn't covered and i'm not sure if any book would explain that answer. Also i've been checking out the free e-book that you posted and it looks like it's also a good book. I've been looking at alot of books and mixing them all in. The question about the subnetting wasn't in the book ( I was reading and had that idea pop in my head of well if the 10.0.0.0 is meant to have a subnet class a would it work if i put it on a class c). Really i knew the answer but at the same time no stupid questions just stupid not to ask them. :)

Sorry i havn't updated my status if anyone is reading my roadmap.

New questions: Using PAT on the 2611 for internet access how do i pass the DNS?

Here is my new setup.

ETH00 - DHCP/OUTSITE
ip nat outside

ETH01 - 192.168.2.222 255.255.255.0
ip nate inside

from there i am running this command

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet0/0 overload

(Because i only have one address i am using PAT (overload), if i had multiple IP's from my ISP i would use NAT and say an ip address correct?)

then i am running

access-list 1 permit 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255

if i setup my dns for 4.1.1.2 i can get out to the internet.
how do i set it up for it to pass the DNS info it go from my eht00 so i don't need to use 4.1.1.2?

Current configuration : 662 bytes
!
version 12.3
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname C-CRTR01
!
boot-start-marker
boot system flash c2600-i-mz.123-9.bin
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 $1$c2v5$gPkpQX69xP9YVsKnxZanL.
!
no aaa new-model
no ip subnet-zero
ip cef
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0/0
ip address dhcp
ip nat outside
full-duplex
!
interface Ethernet0/1
ip address 192.168.2.222 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
full-duplex
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet0/0 overload
no ip http server
ip classless
!
!
access-list 1 permit 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login
!
!
end

C-CRTR01#

For the DNS issue i just created my own domain controller and installed DNS and now tell the router to do DHCP INSIDE with the dns pointing to my DNS server and the alternative is the 4.2.2.1.

For another update I have started to work on RIP- I was able to use rip using two routers (2611,1720) using two T1Wics and a T1 crossover cable. I was able to get two diffrent network subnets to be "auto" detected and added to the route list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back