Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passwords etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcvan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
CA
FMP Rookie again.
Using FMP Server 5.5, I need to add & modify passwords for specific databases. I can't get access privileges on the shared files, nobody is accessing the files, does FMP allow some sort of file limits that are defined elsewhere to then allow access privilege options?

"nobody is accessing the files"
do u mean to say that u don't have a main password?
or is this a case of "mad emplayee" trying to hack its own system...ha????? someone needs a raise? I know I will do it in FM?
just kidding
do u have the password to the FM file at all?

Right you are, to clarify:
I have the master password, but I can only "change passwords" not alter "access priviliges" or add new passwords.
Can I do this from a workstation or does it have to be through the FMP Server 5.5 on the server itself?
"nobody is accessing the files" means there are no users logged into the fmp database files.
By the way, I need a raise!

:) raise would be good
I would try to adjust it on Sever Side; however if your password has truly "admin" rights you sould be able to change passwords and rights. But do confirm that you have ALL the access..sommetimes it is easy to forget the check the little box; also make sure that the file is not in "layout view" while you try to do this...
if not "hack the password"
good luck

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to make modifications to passwords while the shared file is being hosted by FMP Server. That may be your problem.

Although you can define fields in this mode as long as no one else is in the file, to change access privileges you have to close the file in Server, then open it locally in FM Pro (note: NOT in FMP Server).

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back