Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

colthirtytwo

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
Is there a utility to decrypt a masked password in a cisco config file? I just got a cisco 3600. I used the password recovery to make my own, but out of curiosity I want to see what the old password was.

Thanks in advance

It depends on whether the password was set as "enable password" or "enable secret". Enable password uses a weak algorithm and there are applets out there that can decipher enable passwords easily. Enable secrets, on the other hand, are set as a hash (a key that represents the original data) using MD5 which uses 128-bit encrpytion to mask the password. I'm not aware of any utilities that can compromise a password set with enable secret...not saying they don't exist.

To find a weak password cracker, just google for "cisco weak password decrpytion" to locate a utility.

At the very least you should set your passwords using enable secret. An even better, more secure password policy would be to use AAA - authenticating users against a secure database.

For more about cisco password schemes and recommendations:

MD5:

Thanks for the fast reply. It worked. I've already reconfigured the router, but I just wanted to know what the old password was. Now I know. ;)
Thanks again.

Hi, there is another tool in the solarwinds software, you can download engineering edition evaluation, for cisco there are more nice tools (also the password decrypter).
Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back