Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Recovery on a Baystack 28115 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpaters

MIS
Jun 24, 2000
US
I have a 28115 that I need to reset the password on. (current password unknown) Can anyone help?

I think that the 28115 uses the following:
Attach a console, reset the switch, at password entry try
ctrl+b, a, ctrl+y, n, ctrl+e, t.
the whole lot spells "baynet", but use ctrl b, y and e

I've verified that this suggested procedure works on the 28115.

2nd verification. Additional information: This procedure is also effective on a 58000 switch blade.

Another note / Tip: On the 58000 and the ADV version of the 281xx switch, it appears that this procedure must be started after a hardware reset and within 60 seconds of the password prompt appearing. There must be some form of timeout associated with it. I was not able to verify on the older 281xx (no ADV) -- I don't have one to test.

Interesting. Couldn't get it to work on mine...
Software ver. 2.0.3. Wonder if the revision makes a diff?

Have the same problem as you tremor.....same version of firmware.

If anyone can help....

I wouder if there is a way to do a hard reset. Just like you do on a PC with a jumper.

I was informed by Nortel, that I needed to call their tech support to have it reset. This would require a support contract, which we don't have, and don't intend to get on old equipment. In the garbage it will go...Apparently they have some software which will calculate a password based on the mac address of the switch, but I havn't confirmed that source.

Mine is a "Bay Networks 28115/ADV" software revision 2.0.2 and this *did* work. I had to do it immediately after the password prompt came up. There is a timeout on it. (Serial connection, using Kermit, under Linux)

It is a DB9 on the host end (or whatever your host prefers) and a RJ45 on the 28115 end.

DB9 side RJ45 side
Rxd 3 3
Gnd 5 5
Txd 2 6

(the thread "Firmware Image for 28115" has links to the manuals) The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

Feb 28, 2002
All you need to do is make or buy a console cable. That is what the service port is for. If you go to nortelnetworks.com you can find the pin out for the cable. It is really simple only 3 wires! After completing the cable just use Hyperterminal to connect to the switch. be sure that you use no flow control and 9600 baud rate. Once connected the default to get in is (ctrl)b a (ctrl)y n (ctrl)e t --- baynet holding down the crtl key for every other letter. that should get you in and allow you to reset the switch.

any ?'s let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back