Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Recovery Baystack 450 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

janne1912

ISP
Jun 26, 2001
FI
i lost my password somewhere. Can anyone help me?

Try This,

Power off , wait about 30 seconds, Power on...

Within 15 seconds type : NetICs<cr>

You will then be in enable mode... You should be able to retrieve the password from the security menu.

I am trying this and it's not working. Should I see anything in hyperterm when I am typing?

Get the serial # and MAC address of your switch and contact the Nortel Technical Support Center. This is the only way, right now.

This is what I have done in the past. Place the switch (with the unknown password) in a stack with a Switch You DO have the password for, Making the 'known password switch' the 'master' (this controlled by a selector on the cascade module). Then reset the whole stack to Default Settings, this will remove the unknown password and all your config also! So you will have to rebuild your Config.

I am curious to find out if putting the switch in a stack worked. Do the FirmWare versions or Interoperablility software Version Numbers have to be the same? I don't currently have a cascade module, but will purchase them if this will solve the problem (lost password).

I gave it to one of the Net work guys who has a stack. The firmware on the switches were the same. He said it was no problem. I don't personally have cascade modules either, so that's how I ended up resolving it. :)

we have in our network baystack switch 350 and baystack hub(150 and 250) we loss the telnet password RW we need password recovery to this baystack devices

Thanks Gunfighter.... The NetICs trick worked for me on a password protected 450-24T..

At what poing do you type in NetICs command, i have been trying this but the only prompt i get is for the password.
I know how to do the BPS2K but i would like to know how i can break the boot sequence..
is there keys that i need to press to get to the enable-mode..
Let me know
thank you

I have the same problem, NetICs does nothing on the switch I'm consoled into. Is this a Firmware specific solution? (Do only certain firmwares support it?) What terminal program/OS are you consoled in from? I tried from XP Pro with built-in hyperterminal to no avail. Does Nortel not support recovery proceedures, and that's why I can't find any information? (I love you Nortel, you're my favorite!!!) (sarcasm thickly applied with a spatula)

Xanderphillips

The NetICs command does not work on later models of the 450, nortel changed the code to remove the option for security reasons.

Coping with the same password problem on a 350-24t(the SWITCH-password), I have seen the question, but not the answer to it: When I use the NetICs &quot;trick&quot;, at what moment do I use it when connected with hyperterminal (after self test ?) and do I have to see anything ? And means <cr> &quot;enter&quot; ?

Leon

NetICs is a backdoor password, power up and wait for the login prompt. When asked for the password enter NetICs(case sensitive). It will not work with the newer firmware versions.

I just tried the NetICs on a Baystack 350 and it didn't work. Firmware version is 3.01. Does any one know if that is too new. If it is too new, are there any other options?

The firmware version is not the issue, its the date of manufacture.
Can't get firm figures on this but Netics worked on early models.
If it doesn't work on your switch the only option is to contact nortel with mac address and serial number.
They can the generate a one time password.

Thanks people, NetICs worked for me too on a 350T-HD. I couldn't find the mfg date on this box.

grecco

The BayStack 350T/350F/350T-HD/350F-HD switches are old versions of the switch. The new one goes by the name of 350-xxT.
Old versions have the NetICs as a backdoor password. The &quot;new&quot; versions I believe require the same thing as the 450 switches, which is call tech support and give them your MAC address for them to create a password.

Facing same problem with my 450 with new firmware.not able tolgin as password is not known.
NetICs is not working.
What can be done now. Hitender (BE.CCNA)
Best Of luck
Try & Try Till U succedd and update others on u r achievments

hit_singh@rediffmail.com

HI all

I tried netics but its not working.Also i have tried all other solutions which are suggested in this thread.but all in vain

Is there any other way else except contacting Nortel.

regards

Puneet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back