Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password recovery: Accelar 1100R 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebr

MIS
Mar 1, 2001
US
Tech changed the passwords (and even wrote a nice "how_to"), but now we can't get in.
Any ideas? Thanks! Eric

(If you have the "binary" config I found that using an editor and searching for the string "rwa" I found the password straight after it in plain-text. Else, here is a note from Nortel:

Passport 1000 Password Recovery

There is no known backdoor password for the Passport 1000 CPU
modules. In order to access a CPU when the password is not known, you must
factory default the box. For this reason, it is advisable to save the output
from "show config" and save it to a PCMCIA card or your computer. The "show
config" output will contain the passwords in plain-text format, and the
config information in this file can be input back to the CPU after a factory
default.

Connect to the console port on the 1297 or 1298 CPU module.
Reset the CPU.
Enter monitor mode.
Type: config sys set flags factorydefault true
Type: save config
Type: reset
Allow the CPU to completely boot to the banner login screen.
Login with the username 'rwa' and a password of 'rwa'
Type: config sys set flags factorydefault false
Type: save config

The Passport 1000 is now defaulted. If you have a previously saved
file with the output from "show config," you may re-enter your config
information from that file.

Problem solved:

Narnian is correct. I know because before his post I decided to call Nortel. The tech walked me through the exact same steps. Narnian knows his stuff....

Unfortunatly, the switch had a memory error when I issued: "Save config". I RMA'd the unit, and now have a new one.

Thanks Narnian for your help.

ebr

I ran into this on a 1200 and I believe it works on the 1100 as well. If you are lucky, you can use site manager and set the community string and name to secret - secret and it will show your passwords for each level. I did this twice coming into a new shop where the old guy took the passwords.

We've got a 1200 running that we can only get into via the read-only community password. I can't seem to get the idea of setting the community string and name to secret to work - could you provide a little more detail? I'm running version 2.0.5 of the device manager. Also can't seem to get the binary config file off of the thing... And of course, we can't afford the downtime to reset it and reconfigure. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back