Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password protection on i2007/1120E/1140E.1150E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaccodo

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
NL
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the password protection on the above models IP phones.

Nortel writes that from firware version 062XC39 the configuration menu is protected by a password.

My question is: I have serveral 1120 and 1140 phones and some of them have a password and some don't. The only differents is the voice and data VLANs, the duplex settings and are connecting to a different Node ID(settings of the node are identical)..
Both use full DHCP.

Does this sounds familar to anyone of you?

I'd like to protect all phones with this password...

Thanks in advance. Jacco

Details on the Local Tools Menu Password Protection is in the IP Phones NTP.

I found more infomation about teh secure menu and DHCP.

In the DHCP string I can add some more settings to make the menu secure.

I still have another question. In the documentation it says that manual settings overrules DHCP settings.
What if users have played with the settings in the Lock Menu and I actived the new string on the DCHP server. After a reset of all Phones the menu should be secure but does anyone know if the manual settings are deleted by the reset and changes in the DHCP scopes?

Jacco.

O.K. again I've tested somethings on the DHCP server.

I changed the Vendor specific option from:

Nortel-i2004-A,x.x.x.x:4100,1,5.

to:

Nortel-i2004-A,x.x.x.x:4100,1,5;0.0.0.0:0,0,0,SECUREMENU.

When I restart my phone to get this new string from the DHCP server I got 'DHCP parse error' in the display. And the phone doesn't start.

Anyone familar with the addition to the scope option to get a secure menu?

Thanks in advance,
Jacco

As Gwester says the password is write in that NTP but Rls 20.00 of that file, not in prior release

I have the password but I'd like to make sure all the phones have the password enabled and i'd like to do this by sending a string from the DHCP server.

At this point I get an error during the startup of the phone witch indicate that the phone can't read the string from the DHCP server.

So again, has anyone installed this option? And do you have ideas to help me further?

Jacco

Where did you find that this DHCP configuraion is possible? Isn't the Securemenu a variable to be defined somewhere?

There is an earlier FW version for 1120/1140 that is C3C. May be that fw version is the only one able to read your DHCP config...

I Have spoken to Nortel and there is no way to do this through the DHCP server.
They said that is possible later this year maybe.
Also the screen saver is not possible to do this on all the phone easy.

regards

Jeroen

I have the official real tested answer. The documentation is AWFUL, but it does work. Here is a sample string:

Nortel-i2004-A,172.20.1.200:4100,1,1;172.20.1.200:4100,1,2;0.0.0.0:5000,0,0,PARTSECUREMENU.

Replace the 172.20.1.200 address with your call server IP, of course. Replace 0.0.0.0:5000 with your Citrix App Gateway IP if you have one. PARTSECUREMENU locks the user out of Local Diagnostics and Network Configuration. Replacing PARTSECUREMENU with SECUREMENU locks the whole menu. Some thing I have discovered, is that when you finish doing what you're doing in Local Diags or Net Conf menus, you have to go back to the menu and lock it, otherwise the phones firmware assumes you want it left unlocked.

Great news! I will test this tommorrow!!

Can you give me the software release and firmware you use?

Thanks in advance.

Grtz, Jacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back