Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password protection in the bios setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDaddy

Technical User
Apr 14, 2001
US
I'm using windows 98se. I have a friend who setup a password protection in the bios settings. I've tried to set the bios back to save and set to default but that didn't work. What else can I do?

Look to your documentation for resetting this.(in the M/B manual) Generally requires that you pull the battery to kill CMOS settings then set up CMOS from the beginning after the battery is replaced. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You could also as mentioned above check the motherboard manual their is usual a jumper on the motherboard that can be enabled. usually their are 3 pins 1,2 and 3 1 and to are covered with the jumper to clear the bios you would change to cover 2,3 switch on the computer then after approx 3 - 5 seconds press the F8 key to receive windows boot options select command prompt only when at c:> switch off. set the jumper back to 1-2 then switch on go into your bios setup and load bios defaults. safe and exit this should resolve your problem. Though you will need a det of tweezers to change the jumper shouldn't be to difficult.
I have had to do this in the past and know it has worked for me.
Once you are happy with the bios it is good practice to set the password to i.e. your favorite football team?
Also you can print from the screen by i.e. in intergrated periperals by pressing the prtscrn key though I don't know of this works with all bios it has for me.
Good luck

If you tell me the BIOS Make for example - Ami bios award pheonix etc I might be able to give you the universal password to crack that Bios password. Programmers allways leave a backdoor password on a bios. If you cannot find it on the net then you will have to open the box and remove the bios battery for 1 minute or so, so that you loose the setting's. I would suggest you write down the settings before you do that.

Hey , Is this Greg from Crystal ?

If it is yo, Mac Daddy!

To verify state last name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back