Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password protection by user 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgrogro

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
US
I'd like to add a form to my database by which people on the floor can provide feedback to any of about 15 employees that affect the product they produce. I'd like to have each employee to which feedback is directed to be the only individuals capable of reading the feedback directed to them. I can read up about the process of applying the protection but would appreciate any ideas regarding how to build my forms, tables etc. Do I employ a single table and have the password form run a query on a list from a combo box? I've made plenty of mistakes in the past that have cost me precious time. Any ideas would be very much appreciated? As always, thanks in advance!

mrgrogro

If this is on a network you could use the NTLogin to filter out the records for that user from the table. Of course you would have to store their login with the each record in the table but since that shouldn't change it shouldn't be that cumbersome.

In your feedback table you would have something like

fields:
FeedbackAbout--Persons name that the feedback is about
Login--of the person the feedback is about
Comments/Feedback--This would be the actual comments from the user.
Date/Time--Just for recording purposes

You could use the same form to save the data to the table and let the user pick the person from a combo box. You should also be able to use the same form the users to view the feedback about them. You could use a query to open the recordset using the login [environ("username")] in the on load event to only populate the recordset with the records that were directed towards them.

Great advice. I'll give it a try. I really appreciate your response. Have a great day!

mrgrogro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back