Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Protecting Shares on W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

PistolPete30

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
GB
I have various useful utilities / programs on a share sitting on my desktop PC running W2K Pro. When I'm at user's workstations I want to access this share in order to install utilities, drivers etc.

Under Windows 98 I could simply browse to the share from another PC and would be prompted for a username and password to connect to the share. However, under W2K I have to log off the users machine and log on as a user with appropriate share permissions. Is there any way of making the share act like a '98 one and simply ask for appropriate credentials?

CHeers

Pete

If you are sharing Foldres on your PC you can define Premissions for each share (who can access it, how many users are alowed,...)
When you are accessing your shared files from Client PC you will be prompted for password (Log on as ...).
But there is one thing:
You can not install (only copy, read, delete files,...) new SW if you are not loged in as Administrator or the User hasen't got Administrator rights.
In case you are not Admin you must log out the user and log in as admin - thats W2K security.

Use the "Run As..." feature that comes with W2K - just search for it in your help files...

example scenario:

As admin I go to User X's workstation where she is logged in. She wants to install "Adobe Acrobat 5.0". The install files are shared on the network so I simply look for the setup file (usualy an executable or MSI file), right mouse click it whilst holding down shift and select 'Run As'. This will prompt me to run the install file as another user where I can then supply the appropriate Administrator crudentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back