Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password protecting an NTFS drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcomputer

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a 10 GIG in a USB 2.0 external hard drive enclosure. The drive is formatted with NTFS file system. Is there any way I can password protect this drive in "my computer"? Or any of the files it contains?? I am running XP Pro. Any help is much appreciated... Thanks

If you disable Simple File Sharing, you can set user permissions. While not quite the same as passowrd protection, this will allow only authorized users access to the files. For more info, use XP's Help and Support to look for 'Simple File Sharing' and 'permissions'. This will give you lots of good info to work with. If you further want to protect the drive, you can use the Encrypting File System. Again use XP's Help and Support to look for 'EFS'. If you do use EFS, make sure you make a backup of your encryption certificate and private key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back