Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Protected Folder: Unix Solution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookingBeyond99

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
US
I wrote a simple CGI program that output data to various HTML pages due to category chosen by the user. This works perfectly except when the data has to be written to a webpage that is behind a simple password folder. I have the password to this folder but simply dont know the code so I can access that folder and then write to that document. I hope that makes it clear.

So I basically want to know how I can let the program access that folder so I can print out to the webpage. Some people have suggested using Win32::API for Windows 2000 but I think a UNIX solution would be much easier since this is a problem dealing with UNIX permissions. If anyone has an idea on how to do it this way please write down your suggestions. Thanks a ton I really appreciate it!

The entire idea behind the UNIX permissions stuff is security. If you (you being the web server process) do not have read permissions on the sub-dir, then you ( the web server process) may not read it. If you need to be able to read it, then you need to address the permissions issue when the directory is created and it contents are written, not when you are trying to read something you are not supposed to read. Unless, permissions are not the problem, in which case, I don't know.

Sorry, I'm not more help here.

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

Thanks a lot. After reading your post I think its true that youd have to use a Win32:API module over some UNIX command thanks a lot. There must be some command to have the user login and have it checked to htaccess file so you can get the file written to. Do you have any idea which Win32:API module would do this. Anyways thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back