Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Protect folders from being copied

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinsarg

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2004
US
We want to protect our company data from being copied off the server. The users have access to view, modify, and even delete some data. What I want to do is set-up the folders and the data within them to prompt the user for a password when they try to copy the data off the server (shared drive). Is this something that can be done in Windows or do I need a 3rd party app., if so, anyone know of a good 3rd party app.

This cannot be done. If the user has read access then they have the ability to copy the data to any disk they have write rights to.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

So then how do I set-up a shared folder to prompt for a username and password instead of the the message that they do not have permission?

Share permissions are two fold. NTFS permissions and share permissions. each are accessed by right clicking the folder and choosing Properties. The Share Tab and Security Tab set the permissions.

If a user is a member of the same domain as the machine, the user should not be prompted at all.

If the machine is in a different domain or is a member of a workgroup, then the user will be prompted.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

If the data is that critical, you could have the users access the data via a terminal server session and you could disallow use of clipboad and mapping of local drives on the terminal server so that data couldn't be copied to a place that could be taken off-site. Of course, you'd also have to limit use of web browsers and email if you really want to stop information leaks.

Long story short: you're going to have to change your environment radically to get the sort of protection you are looking for.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Can't use TS - these are Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D Studio Max and AutoCAD files. None of these applications will run or are not recommended to run on TS.
I saw it at an engineering firm on DC a while ago, but have not had any luck contacting their IT department.
I found an article a while back about encrypting the data within the network and once removed from the network would not be usable, but I can't seem to locate that article again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back