Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Protect Arcserve 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2003
GB
Is there any way at all to password protect Arcserve 9 running on Windows NT 4.0 ?

One of our IT Guys at another site has our network Administrator password and has a habit of messing with Arcserve and managing to get the jobs to fail when they run, that's if they run. He likes to delete the Database Pruning job too and claims the software deletes the job.

We are currently on Arcserve 6.1 but as soon as we get the licenses for Arcserve 9 I will be upgrading our backup servers.

Thanks in advance.

That is a tough one. The data can be protected with a session password. Admin or no Admin directories and shares can be set up so that only the user has rights to it. A backup operator would still be able to read but not modify. So that might be the way to do it. Setup the ARCserve Server admin with your user account, and you as the specific owner of the ARCserve directories and share. Then test it out real good, because this is just off the top of my head and not from testing it.

I'm not quite sure how you mean.

When we upgrade to Arcserve 9, i might install it to a different directory, somewhere he can't find it. Then i'll delete any shortcuts to it.

Will arcserve still function properly if i change the name of the executable? Just that he might have the sense to do a search for it.

To save you from a lot of work and grief.
If this guy is a member of one of the groups:

Domain Admins
Administrators

You can't to a thing to prevent him from messing with your backup. He will always have the rights of taking the ownership of files that you have restricted him from.

Once you open ARCserve you can delete the pruning job, a normal user account would be able to do that.

Good Luck

GSC

You can install ARCserve to a different area, but it will always create a share \\servername\arcserve$ which it needs for remote management.

Anyone who can run srvmgr or sclist will be able to find the installation path.

Other than changing the password not really sure what you can do about this rogue access.

I suppose the best option would be to send him a snotty E-Mail. Or we could change the Admin password again and make sure he doesn't get it this time.

He rang me up yesterday, he wanted to know how to change the time that the backups run as he has buggered it up yet again and now has them running at 10am rather than 11pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back