Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password protect a folder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilmeedy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
IE
Does anyone know how to go about getting a pop up password box on screen ? I want to password protect a folder on my hard drive on a WIN98 OS.
Would appreciate any help.

Not on the Win98 OS.

You can do it with NTFS file and folder permissions, but that is in NT, 2000, and XP/.NET. And it works over the network or locally.

In Win9x, you can only password protect a share across the network. Share protection doesn't apply while the user is at the machine locally.

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Acheiver with Security Emphasis

The most you can do is hide the folder from users, but if you do this, you can only see the folder from DOS...
It's not worth the hassle... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Assigning permissions to folders is not a function of Win95/98/ME. This is because the OS's use FAT16 and FAT32 file systems that don't natively support it. However, the workaround is to use a third-party app that can "simulate" password protection within the OS. It should give just enough security from the average user. I don't know of any off-hand, but is a good place to look.

If you need more security for personal files, consider upgrading to NTFS...

There is a way to hide a folder, from Windows and Dos, or to 'protect' it from most users.

***Can use a dos prompt, not just 'real' dos mode***

First way: In Dos, use "attrib [foldername] +s +h" to hide and 'system'-ify the folder-Still visible in show all files mode, but if attempted to delete the person will get a "the [x] folder is a system folder! deleting may cause windows to not work properly" or similar.

The second way also uses DOS, as well as high ASCII codes that Windows does not recognize.
To use, rename the folder (eg Test) to "_Test". The _ is actually a high ascii DOS character, ALT+231, a Greek symbol i believe.
In dos, it will appear similar to "†Test" (as before, Windows cannot show it.)
***To undo, rename it from "†Test" to "Test"
You can also use the 'attrib' trick to half hide it from Windows.

With the second way, Windows will NOT recognise the file as existing. It will appear as _Test, and anyone attempting to open it will get a file system error-file does not exist.
You cannot view this file from windows or undo it from Dos unless you know the Ascii code to rename it...

Plus you need Dos to undo the name, or go into the folder thru dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back