Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password on a back end database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greggie

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
AU
I've created a password protected Access 2000 database then split it so I've got the forms, reports and code in a front end database and the data tables are in the back end database. However, it is now possible to open the back end database without a password and access the data. I tried adding a password to the back end database (the same password as the front end database) but when the front end database tries to open the back end tables it fails because the back end is password protected.

Would anyone know how I can have the front end database pass the appropriate password to the back end database?

Try re-linking all the tables in the Front End again, it should then ask you for a passowrd which you can then put in and it should save it. The problem you then have is that if they can get to the database windown in your database then they can still see the tables.

Hope that helps

Andy

Thanks very much. Would that mean that I would also have to redefine the relationships between all the tables?

So basically, after relinking it I should disable access to the database window before I distribute the application?

Not sure about the relationships but i wouldnt think so, but like i say im not sure perhaps someone else could verify that.
You could disable the database window as long as your users dont have the knowledge to bypass it with the shift key.
Security is one of those issues we could talk about all day it all depends on how secure you wish your database to be but its not a simple task to secure a database.

Hope that helps

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back