Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,

I need to get into a hd that is password protected. How would i do that without wiping out everything? [gorgeous]

"hard drive is password protected" ??

Are you saying that when you first power on the PC, you're getting a BIOS password prompt? Or is it the operating system that's prompting you for a password (like WinNT or Win2K)?

I just got clarification, its a win2k os. The administrator set a password and it not tell anyone what it was when he quit. [gorgeous]

you are going to have to reinstall win2000 to another location as I am not aware of any way to get the admin password if it is lost js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

If you are saying that you have a Hard drive that has been password locked and NOT the BIOS passwords: ie you get a message "hard drive unlock failed" you may as well bin the drive. hard drive password is stored on an eeprom address that is NOT accessable

Sorry

There is a company on the US that can remove the password for about $40 but from what I understand the data on the drive is unrecoverable and thus the drive would have to be FDISKed before reformating it

How do I get into a computer that has a Bios password? When I boot up I get a black and white screen with PASSWORD (1):
on it and nothing else. I have tried inserting the recovery floppy and CD and still get the password screen.

Remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, re-insert it and boot the computer

-OR-

Some motherboards use jumpers to reset the CMOS (you would need to consult the manual) ~cdogg
"We park in driveways but drive in parkways?"

See:

thread602-304144

Many new motherboards do not store the password on CMOS - they now store it in EPROM that is integrated into the BIOS chip. See the links I provide in the above thread for details.

The above thread was originally for a laptop but the same applies. Your mileage may vary...

My wife tried to get into my notebook computer but did not remember the BIOS password which I set. Now it will not turn off or anything. How do I get control of it again or can I ever? Should I just remove the battery or is their more to it? HELP! I need this to finish some schoolwork right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back