Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password in Javascript

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmt4331

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US

Hi all:

How do I create a password for a none public access website in Javascript or HTML? Thx.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm not sure what you're asking for...

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

i have sensitive material on the page and i want to authorise certain people to read them. I want to create a link whereby, when they click on the link it will prompt them for a password.. Basically i want secure that link with a password.. A page that will ask for a user name and a password or just a password...

Anticipating your usual cooperation

Thanks a lot

mm4331, if the material is sensitive then you need a secure form of password protection. A JS form won't protect anything. The user can simply check the View Source to see the password.
A secure form of password protection can be ASP,CGI, Coldfusion, HTTACCESS, any kind of server related technology is secure.
Look into your web host provider and see if they offer any pacakages that offer security.

I have this little thing, Advanced Delusionary Schizophrenia with Involuntary Narcissistic Rage.
It's no big deal really...

I agree with GUJUm0deL 100%. With javascript, you'd have to embed your passwords into your script and anybody could read them. Even if you use a .js file, anybody with a little savvy could find the script file and strip the passwords out of it.

Use some other method like GUJUm0deL suggests.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back