Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Expiry Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

justine99

Technical User
May 13, 2002
HK
Is there any tool to warn users on their password expiry in W2K Server PDC?

Our Exchange users always forget to change before it expires. Usually remote users in other countries that they found it inconvenient to I can't set it "never expire" as it's the company policy to have regular change on password.

Thanks in advance!

Justine

hi,
you can open group policy on the DC and under computer congfiguration - security - security options set the "prompt user to change password..." Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

Thanks Eran! But in our case, users will not logon to the domain. This is our email server for a few countries. It's of course alright for local users but not for overseas colleagues.

Is there a way to print/check the password age of all users? So I can fire email for change password warning or whatever notice.

Justine

You could set up OWA with password change option, this would notify the user their password is about to expire based on your GP settings. With SSL set up you could allow them to change their passwords via the OWA. Good Luck, hope this helps!

~Robert

Thanks Robert!

The password change in OWA is already setup. Problem is that users are not using OWA for checking email but other email program, so they'll never get prompted when password almost expires. They request an email notice when it's time to change password.

I've been searching the web about getting the expiry date list on W2k server but I couldn't find any. But there should be way to do it and I'm quite interested in the OWA's message about password expiry. i've been looking into the root.asp. of course I don't understand a bit. I'm not used to programming. :p

Thanks anyway!!
Justine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back