Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password encryption for a backend or service application

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescpp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2001
US
Hello. I know encryption questions are asked a lot and there's overload when googling for answers.

I have a very small application that will run either as a service or from task scheduler on windows that will connect to an email server over imap and download attachments from any new emails for the account.

Obviously I don't want to store the password in the code. Most of the stuff I have found is assuming there is interaction so you would be verifying a password (which makes sense), rather than needing it as part of a connect string.

Can someone suggest the best way to accomplish securing a password that needs to be used in a connect string, but there is no interaction when the program runs? I'm not a java expert so examples would be appreciated.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hello jamescpp,
Of course, storing the password in code would also be stupid, because every time the password changes you would have to recompile your program.
I use to store settings inclusive passwords in properties text files and then load the properties into the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back