Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password complexity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiles

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
I just wanted to see if there was a way to configure the password complexity on Windows 2000. The only control I can find for it is to enable or disable it. Either way that doesn't seem to effect complexity. I ask this question because we had someone do some configuring on our Server's a couple weeks back. Before he did this we could enter passwords of any kind, now the password complexity limits this. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

If you were able to enter any kind of password, then it's likely that complexity was not on at all. In any case, I'm not aware of any easy way to change the complexity rules...

That is what I was afraid of. If you find out a way to configure password complexity please share the wealth.
Thanks for the help

SURE

nothing simpler. if your using active directory, there many security settings. i.e legth, password remembered, bad password settings .

its all there.

if you not using AD, then its in the local security policy of your machine.

Regards

Garthal

*someday I hope to have a certificate to prove my worthfullness*

lol

:p

Does anybody know the default settings for the password complexity? (Upper case, lower case, numbers, etc.) Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Never meet trouble half way".
John Ray (1627-1705); English naturalist.

In the w2k passfilter is set to :

1.Passwords must be at least six (6) characters long.

2.Passwords must contain characters from at least three (3) of the following four (4) classes:

Description Examples
English Upper Case Letters A, B, C, ... Z
English Lower Case Letters a, b, c, ... z
Westernized Arabic Numerals 0, 1, 2, ... 9
Non-alphanumeric ("Special characters") E.g., punctuation symbols.

3. Passwords may not contain your user name or any part of your full name.

Strong password enforcement can be enabled on Windows 2000 by opening the Local Computer Policy MMC snap-in and enabling the "Passwords must meet complexity requirements" setting in Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\Password Policies.

ava

A lot of good information here but I am still waiting to give someone a star who can give me information on how to configure the password complexity rules.

Thanks

If you are not satisfied with the rules provided by w2k,(which btw are all or nothing) then either write your own filter or buy a utility to allow your own configuration such as
hope this helps

ava

I appreciate the tip and the link, however if you look at the link it allows you to change everything but the passwork complexity. So I am coming to the conclusion that password complexity is what it says very complex.

Thanks again

I checked out the link, and I don't believe this product is better than Microsoft's Enforce Password Complexity. Semiles, if you take a good look at the site, it says -
Microsoft gives you the tools to control password length, history and expiration, but no control over password complexity. ava11 gives us the basics of password complexity. If you take that and use the mmc to modify, such as password length, duration, etc, etc, you've got one heck of a tool for passwords. I for one, think this is more than enough.

Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Never meet trouble half way".
John Ray (1627-1705); English naturalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back