Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Change on RH 7.3 Samba PDC quit working

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaildarter

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
Everything was going so smoothly... until I tested a few password changes from the W2k clients. Several changes in a row worked just fine, and then I got a 0x547 error (Windows side). Since then, I can't even change the Unix account passwords with redhat-config-users (though I CAN with passwd commands) when running as root. Here is some output from trying to change a password with redhat-config-users:

-------
[root@linux73 root]# redhat-config-users
/usr/share/redhat-config-users/userWindow.py:73: DeprecationWarning: use GtkListStore/GtkTreeView
self.loginShellCombo.list.select_item(self.shells.index(default))
/usr/share/redhat-config-users/userProperties.py:159: DeprecationWarning: use GtkListStore/GtkTreeView
self.loginShellCombo.list.select_item(self.shells.index(shell))
/usr/share/redhat-config-users/userProperties.py:461: DeprecationWarning: use GtkListStore/GtkTreeView
self.primaryGroupCombo.list.select_item(index)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-users/userProperties.py", line 257, in on_ok_button_clicked
self.parent.ADMIN.setpassUser(self.userEnt, pw)
TypeError: function takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)
[root@linux73 root]#

----------

I'm using all shadow passwords. I've checked the passwd and shadow and group and gshadow files, and they seem normal to me.

Does anyone know what I've done? I've really tried hard to solve this without asking for help. Even if you could point me in some direction, that would be awesome.

Thank you, -Josh

I'm running into the exact same problem (can't edit the password of a user in redhat-config-users because I get a "wrong number of arguments" error), though I'm running it under X Windows off a Mac, not Win2k. Google, news, Red Hat docs -- all turned up nothing. My Red Hat 7.3 is all up to date with latest packages.

Does anyone out there have any idea why this may be happening? (see below -- I get the exact same error messages as snaildarter)

: Everything was going so smoothly... until I tested a few password
: changes from the W2k clients.  Several changes in a row worked
: just fine, and then I got a 0x547 error (Windows side).  Since then,
: I can't even change the Unix account passwords with
: redhat-config-users (though I CAN with passwd commands)
: when running as root.  Here is some output from trying to change
: a password with redhat-config-users:
:
: -------
:
: [root@linux73 root]# redhat-config-users
:
: /usr/share/redhat-config-users/userWindow.py:73:
: DeprecationWarning: use GtkListStore/GtkTreeView
:
:   self.loginShellCombo.list.select_item(self.shells.index(default))
:
: /usr/share/redhat-config-users/userProperties.py:159:
DeprecationWarning: use GtkListStore/GtkTreeView
:
:  self.loginShellCombo.list.select_item(self.shells.index(shell)) /usr/share/redhat-config-users/userProperties.py:461: DeprecationWarning: use GtkListStore/GtkTreeView
:  self.primaryGroupCombo.list.select_item(index)
Traceback (most recent call last):
:  File "/usr/share/redhat-config-users/userProperties.py", line 257, in on_ok_button_clicked
:  self.parent.ADMIN.setpassUser(self.userEnt, pw)
TypeError: function takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)
[root@linux73 root]#
: ----------
:  I'm using all shadow passwords.  I've checked the passwd and
: shadow and group and gshadow files, and they seem normal to me.
: Does anyone know what I've done?  I've really tried hard to solve
: this without asking for help.  Even if you could point me in some
: direction, that would be awesome.
:
: Thank you, -Josh

Just want you to know that I gave up on this, especially since it seemed that no one else was having this problem. I like GUI's, but resigned myself to using the command line.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back