Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password change in ad didn't change mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnd2kdotcom

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2001
US
I changed the password for a user because they forgot it. Change worked for account only within Active Directory. Now how do I change their mailbox password so I don't have to delete it and recreate it?

Thanks in advance.

-Daniel

The password is only on the account. It is already changed. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Once the password is changed on the user account, then they can no longer access their mailbox...its been this case since I installed it a year ago. Problem is, now I can't just delete the mailbox and create a new one, there is lots of mail in there.

Did they logout and back in? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

yes they were not logged in when I changed it. It has been the same scenario every time.

I change their password

Thier password works to log in

Thier new password will not allow them to access their mailbox

You must be a manager. I'm not trying to be rude, but you are either not telling us everything or clearly do not understand Win2k/E2k.

1) Are you in mixed mode?

If yes, then this makes a little sense, because the user could have a logon password, and the mail servers could be in a different domain without a trust, so they would need another id and password to access their mailboxes.

However, reading this thread it sounds like you are in native mode, which is even more confusing. From the ADUC (Active Directory Users and Computers) you should find the person, and get their properties. This is important. Do you see Exchange attributes on the object (user account). When you install Exchange 2k in Win2k you will run forest prep and domain prep (or just install and it will do it for you) and that extends that Active Directory Scheme to add Exchange attributes to the directory. So before you install E2k, if you looked at a user in AD you would see nothing about Exchange. After you install Exchange, you will see Exchange attributes.

Anyway, you might have migrated some accounts, and or, when you created an account you did not email enable it. You have to email enable an object so that it can have a mailbox resource associated with it. Have you done this? If so, then the users account password will be the same password that he/she uses to get into his/her email.

If the person is mail enabled, and cannot log into email, then their might be a problem with AD Replication. But one year? That's indicative of a severe problem in your environment or the users client is not installed correctly (i.e. internet version of O2K vs. Exchange Server Corporate).

Open ADUC, right click on the person and you should see "Exchange Tasks". From here you can enable instant messaging, move mailbox, or delete mailbox. If you want to get their mail out, then use ExMerge to merge it out to a .PST, then blow their mailbox away and recreate it. I think you have bigger issues, nonetheless, I think I have covered everything I can think of.

Juan Delegator

Well, it IS is Mixed Mode. There is really no reason for it to be. I don't have workstations. Just outside account access for Web and Mail activity. There is only 1 machine. So worrying about wether Active Directory is properly communicating with outside servers is not the issue.

Since I do not use workstations that are not older than Windows 2000, should I just convert it to Native Mode?

All input is encouraged, you shouldn't worry about stepping on toes. I am all self taught, and have been fortunate enough to get ahold of jobs that I can learn in because nobody else could do it either. That gave me the opportunities that I have been given to learn.

When I say "since I installed 1 year ago." that means that I started using Exchange 2000 a little over a year ago, and I couldn't figure out this problem then or now. Xybertron has always answered what I couldn't figure out.

Poof and it worked! almost instantly.

Thanks for your help gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back