Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password cannot be changed at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc88

Technical User
Oct 16, 2001
NL
We have a windows 2000 domain with windows 2000 clients.
We have 1 user that get's the error Password cannot be changed at this time.

She's not the only person in that OU and other users in the same OU do not have the problem.
I recreated the user account, with profile and mailbox but no luck untill now.

I checked with gpresult after the user was logged on and couldn't find any wierd policys that ran after logon.

If you need more info please let me know.

Jacob Cats

System support analyst

Can you look on the Domain Controller in the Security Log to see what error it is that this user is getting?

I guess a few things to look at in the meantime:
1. Check the security on her account and assure that SELF has change password permissions.
2. Check your password policy and make sure there is no minimum password age set.

~Intruder~
CEH, MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Where can I check the permissions on her account?
Do you mean on the profile folder on the server or somewhere else?

I will check the password policy again..

Thanks for your reply

Jacob Cats

System support analyst

In AD Users and Computers on the Security Tab.... This is probably not the issue, but it's easy enough to check. If you've upgraded your domain from NT4 to 2k/2k3 this issue sometimes crops up though.

~Intruder~
CEH, MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

I have had this issue upon having machine re-join a domain and I could not connect to the domain controller. Make sure connectivity to the domain controller is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back