Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password can be change on Mapped Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

etaylor

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2003
US
I hope I can explain this correctly, here goes ..

We have mapped drive from Windows XP to network shares on a file server (2003). Created user with specific password, on the file server, provided access right on the shared folder and mapped the drive on the user computer manually. Now is there any possibilities that user can directly change their password on mapped drive (file server 2003) from their computer?

Any ideas? Help …

Pretty much only if it were part of an AD domain, if you're using Server in a standalone environment then you will need to change that password on the server and recreate the share everytime you change the password (assuming you aren't using the same user\pass as they are using to log onto the workstations, if you were using the same credentials then the share would just reconnect correctly).

Of course I could be completely incorrect in this but this is certainly my view on it as it stands.

Out of interest why aren't you running in an AD environment, you obviously have the server and software to be able to do this and it would make administration of users and shares a lot easier.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Simon,
Thanks for your response. It’s a stand alone server; there is no DC to authenticate.
Is there any software we can use.

etaylor,
One of the things you can do for each user on your server is check the box that says "User can not change password".

Thinking about what you are asking, the answer would be no. The password would be tied into the users credentials. The user would have to log into the server remotely (Remote desktop), open the manager applet from my computer, etc, then change the password under local users and groups. A normal user shouldn't have that kind of access at all.

Furthermore, in order for a user to connect via Remote Desktop, they must be a part of the Remote Desktop group.

IOW, IF it can be done, it wouldn't be easy.

Thank you very much for your responses. My exact problem as follows:

I hope I did not confuse you. My problem is our user basically logon into the DC and they can change their pw on specific time set by the GPO. But along with that users also access resources through manually mapped drive from a stand along server in a different location on T1 line and this server is not a part of our domain controller.

After every time users change the password for DC, they have to call other side of T1 line to set the same password on that stand alone server to match the password on manually mapped drive.

Now my question is that is there anyway user can change their password from their computer, without calling the other side to set the password on the stand alone server.

Thanks

The answer is still no, no matter how you ask. If this is an inconvience, whoever has control of the remote (mapped) server should implement some remote password change system. How to do this depends entirely on the server - the admin of that server should set up a script that is accessible with remote desktop or a web page or something. There is nothing that you'll be able to do from within your domain.

you could just create a login script to map drive
that script would contain user/password.
It appears that the remote server user/passw does not change
frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back