Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password/authentication with IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwillr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2003
CA
How can I prompt the browser to aske for username and password when accessing the site running from IIS?? is this done through IIS?

In the properties for the server, remove Anonymous Access.

thank you. I have tried that, however, i dont see a palce to enterr user names and passwords for users. i just see the boxes for domain name and realm, which i am not sure what are used for. your advice is much appreciated.

You set up a userid and password just as if they were a regular user that was going to log onto the machine if your server is a standalone server. If it is on a domain, it will verify access using the domain users.

okay yes, I understand that, however, my question is how exactly do i do this. I am running the server from my pc, running windows xp.

I don't have XP running right now so I can't give you step by step instructions but hopefully this will help.

If you go to the control panel (I think this will be somewhere on the right hand side of the start menu somplace) you will find an icon that says "Users" on it. After clicking on this icon, you should be given an option to add users, you can then add as many users as you need. Make sure that they are "limited" user accounts.

Aah, I will try that when i arrive home from work, and reply as to whether it works or not.

Thanks for your time and wonderful assistance

I tried what you suggested, worked first try. Thank you. your solution was bang-on.

Gary

Okay, I thought it worked, however, i can simply type in anything in the user/pass fields and itll let you in

Gary

You need to make the authentication policy as windows in
IIS -> WebSite Properrties and add the necessary domain users there.

I went in IIS, selected the directory that I want to secure, pulled up the property sheep, de-selected the anonymous authentication option, and checked the "integrated windows authentication", however, there is no other options there at all, or any places to, for example, add control lists ect.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back