Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passthrough Queries and Parameters; Changing Querydefs and Multi-usability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve101

Programmer
Mar 29, 2002
AU
I have an access application connecting to a SQL database, mostly using ODBC connected linked tables.
For performance reasons I also want to use Pass through queries which for complex queries will run much faster.

Trouble is, that I seem to need to modify querydefs in order to provide parameters to the pass through queries.
This does not sit well with me, for multiuser reasons; e.g. several users simultaneously accessing (and changing) the same querydef with different criteria.

The literature all talks about using querydefs and I have no problem with setting these up and using them, but do have concerns re potential multi user issues.

Any comments in relation to this, and better options would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I am stuck with the existing environment, and don't have the option for example of using ADP's.

thanks in advance,

Steve
SimplyData

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
SimplyData
simplydata.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

I change the SQL of querydefs in most of my applications using faq701-7433. This is never an issue since every user should always have their own copy of the front-end file.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I'm with Duane: in a multi user environment each Workstation should use a local copy of the front end.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks guys; that's a very good point. I'm sure you are right about each workstation having its own copy of the client, in which case changing querydefs certainly isn't an issue.
I have tended to use a "shared client" without problem, but of course there are downsides. I do it as it makes deployment and maintenance easier.
I will rethink this approach.
Many thanks again,
Steve

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
SimplyData
simplydata.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back