Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passport 8600 CPU 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJHoldi

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
DE
Hi all,

since some weeks my passports got a cpu utilisation of 100%. i got a redundant pair with wsm modules and ssl accelerators. there were made no changes to the configurations and the traffic is the same. maybe the software on the webservers and application servers changed but i don't know.
is there any way to find out the origin of the failure ?

regards Reinhold

Do both of your CPU modules show 100% utilization on their LEDs and command line interfaces (show sys perf), or is it just the active CPU module?

Check your server connections.
Have the "server" guys implemented teaming? without any notice?
If that is the case, this can cause problems.
Track the mac-address of the servers and cross-check the forwarding table.
If that flips, and no MLT's for that purpose has been configured, you know who to blame.

Search for IGMP broadcasts. Try disabling IGMP on access switches and see the results.
Anyway, what FW do you have on the ERS8600?

Cheers

Hi all and thank you for your answers,

your hints, looking for others working on the net, where great. i found a lot of snmp traffic on my uplinks. i never looked for this before. there was an error in two management servers that caused the high cpu utilisation. the two servers where polling for the mac addresses about 100 times per second and the PP responded but the servers however didn't get the answer. now the server guys restartet the application and my cpu just is fine.

thanks again for help, regards Reinhold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back