Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passport 6440 Mgmt Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevoDevo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hey All,

I just got a Passport 6440 and I want to be able to manage it via the ethernet interface on the CP. I have no idea how to set this up so if someone could give me a pointer or two I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Stevo

Stevo

According to my book 'the Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 AUI port is unsupported'.

Either you need to telnet in via another interface, or to set up a console connection with direct cable, modem or terminal server

EB

Thanks EB,

Here's another question then... I have a 6 Port Ethernet module that has a really funky connector on the front... it's like a 36 serial type connector.

What type of cable do I need to use that with a standard RJ-45 cable?

Stevo

You need a front panel with RJ-45 ports and special cable, or you can make another cable and connect it to you patch-panel. Pin assigment you can find in Passport NTP.

You can use the RJ45 port to manage the passport, but it requires a fairly new version of software - possibly PCR 5.2 and I don't know off the top of my head if its available with Enterprise (non PCR) code at all. Its called an OAMEnet port - look for it in your NTPs. It's just like adding any other Enet port but Nortel recommend and support it only for management - not for regular LAN use... If you can't find any more info, I can try to send you a copy of the 'how to' from the NTPs (when I get to work)...

On the 6400 code, you might be able to use the CP enet port for management by running startup and configuring the IP address there. If this works on your card/software, it will give you mgmt access to the local card only, and will not be part of any virtual router on the node.

Is a CP or a CFP1 ? which SW are you running? basicly you can either setup a virtual router link to the CP enet or setup an IP directly to the CP enet port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back