Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing variables to Flash - Viewing in Netscape 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMersereau

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
GB
First post to this forum... Hi everybody... !

I've got a Flash movie in an HTML page... I'm passing variables to the movie and it works fine in IE but Netscape refuses to load the variables... Any ideas...?

Relevant code is below;

Code:
 <object classid=&quot;clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000&quot; codebase=&quot;[URL unfurl="true"]http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=4,0,2,0&quot;[/URL] width=&quot;550&quot; height=&quot;400&quot;>
              <param name=movie value=&quot;deutsche.swf?strdivision=Division&stradd1=22 The Glades&quot;>
              <param name=&quot;QUALITY&quot; value=&quot;high&quot; >

<embed src=&quot;deutsche.swf?strdivision=Division&stradd1=22 The Glades&quot; quality=high pluginspage=&quot;[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&quot;[/URL]
              type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;550&quot; height=&quot;400&quot;>
              </embed>
            </object>
            <br>

Love,
Steve

Take me, take me to the Water

Love??? Regards,
TulsaJeff

cd_tektips.gif

Tulsa... Probably &quot;Love&quot; as in &quot;Ah! Netscape! Gotta Love it to use it!&quot;... Or Steve was still half asleep too!

Steve, your problem most probably resides in the <embed> tag, the one used by &quot;Lovable&quot; Netscape! Try adding swLiveConnect=true in there, between src=... & quality=...!
Might as well give your movie an ID in the <object> tag and a name in the <embed> tag also, for future usage, if and ever you want to use Flash methods, for example.

Regards,
new.gif

well... we all do love netscape, right? I mean they do play so well with others![love] Regards,
TulsaJeff

cd_tektips.gif

Love to you and all!

Sadly I still need a reply!

Love,
Steve

And all of this is not in explanation, It's just me putting my hand on my heart

So you tried Old's suggestion above and it did not work? Regards,
TulsaJeff

cd_tektips.gif

Hey everybody, thanks for your feedback... I laughed I cried (but mostly I've been crying)

Our posts crossed (kind of like ships in the night...)

I've tried Old's suggestion now... putting
Code:
swLiveConnect=true
in a few different locations... no joy.

Any other ideas welcome...

Seriously I love this forum!

Love,
Steve

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, Good Times.....

What variables & what variables names are you exactly trying to pass on?

Regards,
new.gif

Just tested this in Netscape 4.76 [thumbsup] (if you're using NS6.x - that might be the problem!), and your script works wonderfully as is (without swLiveConnect), in both browsers, assuming the variables you're passing on, are &quot;strdivision&quot; and &quot;stradd1&quot;.

Regards,
new.gif

I really appreciate your help Oldnewbie!

Testing this in Netscape 4.08. Flash variables are strdivision and stradd1 and the values I'm trying to get into Flash are
Code:
 Division
(into strdivision) and
Code:
 22 The Glades
(into stradd1)

Love,
Steve

Take me to the river

What can I say? Lovable NS4.08 must then be the problem!
Someone running NS6.x should confirm it, but seems to me, you should upgrade!

Maybe it will take you to the river!

Regards,
And might I be &quot;loved&quot; by your vote!
new.gif

I'll &quot;up&quot;grade and let you know....Thanx

Love,
Steve

Health and knowledge and wealth and power, passion and poems and sex

Thx TulsaJeff and OldNewbie.... it's working fine now. I love Netscape 4.79 and I love Flash and I love you!!

Love,
Steve

I'm ready, that's that, that's final, it's a wrap
You win, come on, drive me to the bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back