Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing variables to awk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwasserman

Technical User
Oct 21, 2004
US
We have several large clients that have access to our UNIX system, and we set up their users within pre-defined user ID# ranges in /etc/passwd. I want to be able to find the highest user ID# used within a range and redirect the output to a temporary file (lastnum.tmp) for use in another script. To do this, I've created a reverse-sorted listing (passwd.sorted) of the USER ID# field cut out of the /etc/passwd file. The passwd.sorted file looks something like this:

3700 <- first number in range 3700 - 3999
3527 <- last number used in range 3500 - 3699

I have an awk routine that reads the passwd.sorted file, finds the last number used in a particular range, and passes this to the lastnum.tmp file:

awk '/^3700/ {getline;print $1}' passwd.sorted > lastnum.tmp
lastnum=$(cat lastnum.tmp)
echo "The last user ID is $lastnum"

The output: "The last user ID is 3527"

This works fine, but since we have about 8 user ID# ranges, I would rather declare the awk matching pattern through a variable, something like this:

firstnum="3700"
awk -v num=$firstnum '/^num/{getline;print $1}' passwd.sorted > lastnum.tmp

I've tried several ways to get this to work, but I either get an entire listing of the passwd.sorted file, or no output at all. What am I doing wrong?

What about this ?
awk -v num=$firstnum '$1==num{getline;print $1}' passwd.sorted > lastnum.tmp

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

$0 ~ ("^" num) ....

vlad
+----------------------------+
| #include<disclaimer.h> |
+----------------------------+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back