Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

passing values from one flash object in a different frame to another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bignewbie

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
PH
hey ppl,

how can i make a flash object in one frame tell another flash object in a different frame that it is finished looping? is there any way around wthis without the need to reload?

this is urgent! pls anybody answer me asap please!

thanks and Godspeed!

biggie

Don't quite understand your question.
When you say Flash object, do you mean a mc?

Setting up a variable (flag-condition) at the end of the looping, and then testing this condition in your next frame, might work... If I sort of understand what you're trying to do?

;-)

you could set a timeline resident variable (ie: /:variable).

When your mc is finished set /:variable to "done". Have a looping MC which checks /:variable, and if /:variable=="done" tell your other mc to play and tell the control mc (self) to stop.

dave davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(boy am i glad to see both of u online), its like this guys, if u remember i am using framesets for our site if u look closely at the left side of it, you may find that there are icons of different search engines alternating. what my boss want to happen is this. when you click any one of those icons, a frameset (we named it search frameset) comes up on the main screen (center part of console). guys i think it might be better if u view the site to know what i mean (if its not too much trouble). the search frameset consists of two parts, the search page (top) and the buttons page (bottom). as you can see the buttons page consists of 5 swf files. at this point, when the user clicks any one of those 5, (say yahoo), my boss only wants the yahoo icon displayed on the left side of the screen immediately under "Search the Web" text. I tried setting variable by using ASP Sessions or cookies but the left side wouldn't read it.

sounds complicated doesn't it? basically what i would like to know is how to make one swf file in a different page tell something to another swf in another page, but both of them are in the same frameset.

thanks and i'll be monitoring this thread, every so often, and i'll be on the look out for your help!

biggie

Was it you who posted a similar thread in the past couple of weeks?

Anyway. You know the chat section of pinkzeppelin.com? Well it uses PHP to do this. What I tested last week (testing for frame communication) was splitting the page into a twin frameset, top-and-bottom. I had the chat input box in the top half, and the chat 'viewer' in the bottom half, to test whether or not I could get both frames to communicate. I spent an hour or so on it, got it to work, then changed something somehow and it stopped working (wasn't tracking my changes)! I then gave up because I couldn't be bothered with it (ie: very grumpy night).

My reasoning was very simple though. You have one movie in a frame writing a variable to a text file on your server, using PHP. And the movie in the other frame would costantly read the contents of the text file using a 'load-variables' action. Simple enough?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Both of you never sleep! Is that it?

It is complicated! For me at least! Dave should answer this one... I'll take care of the rest of small tell target problems!

One link I've been wanting to look into... That may give you ideas:

This tutorial includes downloadable source code for cross-communication among two Flash movies, several HTML frames, and javaScript.

;-)

dav, i dont think it was me (in other words, it could have been me but i dont remember).

tried that using ASP but the problem is it could not read it. when i use this code:

<% me=&quot;4&quot;
response.write &quot;&engine=&quot; & me
%>

flash returns: engine=&quot;\&quot;&quot;

but when i use this code:

<%
response.write &quot;&engine=4&&quot;
%>

flash returns: engine=&quot;4&quot;

why?

old,

taking a look at the link right now. quite impressed, will get back right at you later, by the way its 11 am from where i am so its not yet my doozing off time.

thanks

flash returns: engine=&quot;4&quot;[color]

isn't that what you're after?

Old, going to check the link, sounds good, is it the one with the surfer and the aeroplane?.

4.22am in Edinburgh, been writing the FAQ for the Drawing movie. davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

before you ask, I never sleep when I'm on a roll with something, only sleep when I'm grumpy...;-) davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Above post should have read:

flash returns: engine=&quot;4&quot;

isn't that what you're after?

Old, going to check the link, sounds good, is it the one with the surfer and the aeroplane?.

4.22am in Edinburgh, been writing the FAQ for the Drawing movie. davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dav, &quot;me&quot; was a variable. i was trying to tell u that when i declare the variable explicitly <%=&engine=&quot;4&quot;%>, flash interprets it correctly, but when i declare it dynamically <%response .write &quot;&engine&quot; & me%> it doesn't? why is that? i used the same thing in my cards module (f u remember it) and it worked! this has got the wires in my head all screwed up! anything i missed?

old, what time is it where u r?

Big, I'll wipe the dust off the ASP book when I get home from the office later today.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dav,
that would be nice dav, but dont strain your self too much for it. You might have something else to do (like dinner) but anyway i'll be waiting for it! then stick to you a big purple star when u solve it! thanks! as for me i'll try to find some other way through this (a ramrod would my best tool!)

old, i'll study the birdie page, hadn't done it 'coz my boss kept me busy all this time. will do it tonight and try not to mess up with it! thanks.

biggie

Did you get a chance to check Old's link, any conclusions drawn from that?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dav,
i hadn't the chance to study. Still have some things to finish up at work. will do so in 4 hours, 9 pm here, that's the my only peace and quite time alone. will tell u tomorow

biggie

Regarding the Hawaii Map tutorial: I was unable to get the tutorial to run on IE 5.0 Mac. It did, however, run fine on NS 4.76.

Any suggestions for getting a working solution that is workable on both browsers? I'm in a place that's calling upon the need to be able to control one flash swf from another swf.

Thanks!

kideternity@spamcop.net

what exactly do you want to do? maybe we can find a way around it much like in my problem. instead of controlling it in flash, i just made the modifications using asp, of course there are some trade offs!

biggie

What I'm trying to do (I'm not an ASP programmer, so that's out the door) is get a button menu swf (made in flash) that when clicked, will tell another swf file on the page to go to a specific frame.

I'd like this to work at the minimum for IE 5.x and NS 4.x. Any thoughts on this? I'm fairly gnu to the backend operation of flash and java but I do muddle through it.

Thanks!

Seems curious to me that such a &quot;simple action&quot; would work with NS and not with IE. Maybe Patricia, a charming fearless Mac defender, can take care of the Mac side of this, but if you post an url or some code, it will be a pleasure for me, to check it out and help if I can.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back