Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing url variables and displaying them on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosn459

Programmer
Sep 18, 2003
US
I've built a website that uses a Linux platform.

I pass two url variables to another form but can not get the values of these variables to appear within the body of the form! I surround them with output statements but still no values! The technical support person tells me it is because I am using CF on their Unix platform. I have used Unix platforms before and never had this problem. Is there any validity in this statement?

If it is, shouldn't I just be able to use straight HTML and confert my CF code to HTML?

I have posted my url and receiving page below:
Sending:
<a href="ShoppingCart.cfm?ItemNum=1234&ItemDesc=ProductOne" target="_blank">Add To Basket</a>
Receiving:
<form action="ShoppingCart.cfm" method="post" name="ShoppingCart.cfm" id="ShoppingCart.cfm">

<table border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" bgcolor="##C6BBBB">
<th>Below are the item(s) you've selected:</th>
<tr><td>ITEM</td><td>NUM</td><td>QTY</td></tr>
<cfoutput>
<tr>
<td><input type="text" name="ItemDesc" value="#url.ItemDesc#"></td><td>#url.ItemNum#</td><td><input type="text" name="#url.ItemNumQty#" value="1" size="3" maxlength="10"></cfoutput</td>
</tr>

</table>

</form>
</body>

sometimes i've had cf give the error but when it is displayed in the "value" of an input box i have to view source to see the error. you may get "ItemNumQty is undefined in url" I don't see it in your link or defined anywhere else. or something about
Code:
</cfoutput</td>
you're missing the ">". View the source and see if you have a coldfusion error hidden in there somewhere.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Doug,

When I cut and pasted my code, I accidentally left off the ">".

Oddly enought, I do not get an error. What I do get is this on my receiving page:

Below are the item(s) you've selected:
ITEM NUM QTY
#url.ItemNum#

What does your query string look like.. Is it possible your doing something where on the page that links to this you're saying

url.ItemNum=#url.ItemNum# and you forgot to put a cfoutput around that.. Try outputting a function or something.. #Now()#

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

if webmigit's suggestion doesn't work my guess would be one or all of the CF services isn't running. can you see your cf in the view source?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back