Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing the Gas....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dostani

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
I have a table built of categories that I am using the repeat region behaviour. The list is hyperlinked to the recordset using the "go to detail page" behaviour. How does one stop the variable from passing twice on the next page? I get for example Picviewer.asp?PictureNum=1&PictureNum=2 when passing into the second page of links? If this makes sense?

Thanks in advance

Unselect the Pass Existing parameters when setting up the second "Go to details page" behaviour

[Peace][Pipe]

But by doing so doesn't that also disable the second page from reacting like the first.

Example:

Car ID 1 Pass to detail page
Trucks ID 2
Planes ID 3

Detail Page has same setup so if I delete the Pass existing then it would not put the correct ID to the link when pressed. If I am getting this right???

Sorry Lame duck these days....

What I am trying to achive is to have the user with the ability to add menu items in the database and call them from the ID thats created The body of the page or recordset for the body being set to filter PageID = URL PageID. I think....

I don't really understand what you are doing, are you trying to set up recordset navigation?

[Peace][Pipe]

On the left I have a category navigation which feed from a table called cats Has a name and a autonumber. I need to pass the autonumber to the body which contains the recordset for the products found under that category.

If I use the go to detail behavior it works great for the first page but on the detail page if I use the same behavior its adding the catID twice and errors the page. How do I address the issue corectly?

Page setup example

products.asp
listing.asp
viewproduct.asp

Hope this clarifies my intentions shopping cart settings if you will.

Thanks and sorry for being mixed and vaque :)

you would have to build '2details'pages
(listing.asp and viewproduct.asp)
and
1 recordset
=======================================
ProdID | ItemID | ItemDesrip | Price
--------------------------------------
..1...|...2...|Something |120.00

1st page would be filtering by one URLvar
Lisitng.asp?ProdID=1
while
2nd would be by 2
ViewProduct.asp?ProdID=1&ItemID=2

how many recordsets you use per page is up to you...the less the better...so try to make some stored procedure or querry that would contain IDs for category and subcategory vs. creating a new recordset per each table...
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Looking at the break down as I have it the products page shows the categories in which the user clicks on the categories it then transfers to the listing page for a listing of the items for that category. On that page is a detail and a buy action one goes to the add cart function the other goes to item detail page. the problem I am experiencing has to do with passing the variables using the go to detail page. seems the next step is carrying over the value from the prior page and adding it. I don't need the variable to be retained at this point I need to drop it so I have a clean slate altogether. I tried dropping the pass variable on the second level and now no variables are being past for anything at all????

post some code that relates to URL params....sometimes dw doesnt cleanup/update the code if you rename the rs etc....and a silly suggestion would be to make sure that you are not running from cached pages on your local machine...
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back