Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing referrer info using winow.open

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandler

MIS
Dec 10, 2000
US
I'm trying to create a new window with window.open, but I need to pass the referrer info so that the request doesn't get "locked out" by my .htaccess file. Is there a way in php to pass that info?

Chandler
I ran over my dogma with karma!

Are you talking about the HTTP_REFERER found in the $_SERVER superglobal? If you are, I do believe sending that information is left to the discretion of the browser and not of the script on the website. So there is no way to control that from a remote website, one way or the other.

Hmm.... well, I understand that it is left to the discretion of the browser and that's acceptable to me at this time. I have another method to "secure" content using the Joomla session variables. But having 2 methods can't hurt either. Using just the standard <a href="url link" target="_blank"> method does send the info, but I need the parameter control of window.open. I've read that there are ways to fake the referrer, but I haven't been able to figure it out or find any code. So that's where I'm stuck.

Chandler
I ran over my dogma with karma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back