Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing prompt through report dependencies in IWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagae

MIS
Mar 27, 2003
Hi,
I need to get information for a parent part number and the project it is assigned to. The problem is that the original database really does not have the tables related.

My solution was:
Impromptu#1 - prompt user for parent part # - save result as hot file. ((I need to display all the child parts to this whether or not it is assigned to a Project))
Impromput#2 - prompt user for parent part # and Project number
Impromptu# 3 - Report using both hot files joined on child part and outer join on Material hot file

This is working on the client and Web if the user runs each report separtately. I can also write a script to run all three reports on the client.

I have tried a million combinations of dependencies on the Web, but cannot get the prompts to be passed to all steps.
Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
m

All,
I should clarify more.

Impromptu#1 - Material table - prompt user for parent part # - save result as hot file. ((I need to display all the child parts to this whether or not it is assigned to a Project))
Impromput#2 - Project table - prompt user for parent part # and Project number
Impromptu# 3 - Report using both hot files joined on child part and outer join on Material hot file

Hi Sagae,

Why do you use hotfiles? Are these tables come from different dbs?

Rgds,
S.

If I understand your situation correctly you are trying to run report 2 every time report 1 completes and report 3 every time report 2 completes. but unfortunately because report 2 requires the user to enter prompt data, this isn't a route you can go down because you are only manually executing report 1 the prompts for report 2 will not be displayed to the user.

I think you would need to use Power Prompts to achieve this, but I have no experinec of using them.

what is your table structure, why can the tables not be linked ?

Does report 1 have to be up to the minute live data ? or could you reun the report on a scheduled basis to include all parent and child parts ?

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Gary,
You are right about the sequence
report 3 is the one displayed
report 3 calls report 2
report 2 calls report 1

reports 2 & 1 create the hotfiles.

reports 1 & 2 require prompts.

I am currently investigating Power Prompts. I need Web server loaded on my PC.

The tables cannot be linked because there are not enough common fields to the two tables. The prompts are what makes it possible to identify the related records. The DBAs cannot/willnot change the tables or create views.

It does have to be up to the minute.

Thank you for all the help here and I am now pursuing Power Prompts. If/when I succeed I will post with my solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back