Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing information between layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarybabe

Programmer
May 13, 1999
US
I need to place layers on a given web page that already exists. Essentially, I'd be placing them on pages *after* the pages were completed (please don't ask why or tell me that I need to do it as the pages are written - I must be able to do this after the fact). I then need users to be able to enter data on this layer and then have it written to a database of some type.

What's the best way to do this? Thanks for your thoughts!

B.B.

Laurie Gray

Try having an invisible iframe for importing more documents.
you can create the layers dynamically - then read data from the page loaded in the iframe. I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at.

jaredn - I am going to try this for printing - like when my user hits print i load a printer friendly page in the (hidden) iframe, then print it. iframe must have a print method -surely! Also hopefully you can set display to none, and still have it active.

This alternative to popping up a new window - then printing that, which is amateurish I reckon.
b[sup]2[/sup] - benbiddington@surf4nix.com

The browser we're using is not of major concern. It's for an internal application, so while cross-browser support would be nice, it's not mandatory.

What is an iframe? This term is unfamiliar to me.

Thanks,
B.B.
Laurie Gray

Hmmm - an iframe is just like a frameset frame - you can load a separate document into it - but it is displayed
in-line - so it looks like a textarea. You can hide these or even set their display to none so they don't interfere with the rest of the page.

You can load any stuff in there at any time - by resetting it's src. This may br handy for you, I'm not sure ;) but they are pretty cool.

Have a look here:

b[sup]2[/sup] - benbiddington@surf4nix.com

Yeah, just use an iframe. in IE, you can load the form into the iframe where the data entry is and place it anywhere on the page. start off having the iframe display:none; and give it an id(myiframe) then show it and position it. once they submit the form, on the action page, have it reference:

parent.myiframe.style.display='none'

you can repeat this process as often as you need. oh yeah, if there is a problem with the form action page knowing who its parent is, you load add a skeleton frameset into the iframe and have the form and action page be children of this. jaredn@subdimension.com -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back