Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing data to formular from vb - limitation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostInCode

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
DE

Is there another way to pass a string of text to a crystal formula, from a VB program, when the text is longer than 255 chars? Otherwise I get an error that the text for the formula is too long.

Do not wonder at the length.
I am passing as text the selected/current criteria in readible format() that the user sees on a grid, as a parameter, so they see in the report the current filter.
The reason i am doing this is because the table and field names, and the formatting do not tell the user a whole lot (some field names or abrreviations), and the user is not aquainted with the database. So I pass to the report the formated criteria using predefined field captions.

Sometimes the user selects many individual fields for criteria, rather that using > and < operands, so the criteria can easily be larger than 255 chars.

The only solutions I have thought of is to break the string apart and pass using two formulas - but that really isn't a solution as what happens if the text is 3 x 255 or 4 x 255? - or to send the formated criteria text to a db field and have CR pull from there.

Any other possibilities? I am using a CRPEAuto wrapper.

Ok. I think I found that there is not possible way of doing this except how I mentioned (thread149-874042).
This seems to deal only with internal variables, and not formulas, but I think the results would be the same.

Can someone confirm that this will not happen with CR 9 and higher (passing text > 255 chars to CR formula)

I just passed a 689 char string to a formula field using VB6/CR 9 with no problem.

-dave

Yep, the limitation goes away in CR 9 and up.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back