Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing BLAT userid and password to Exchange Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDog

MIS
Aug 19, 1999
US
Does anyone know how to pass a userid and password from BLAT to Exchange. The documentation (weak) shows -u and -pw switches, but that doesn't seem to do the trick if I add them to the end of the command line. I am not quite sure how to implement this. Any help appreciated.

What specifically are you trying to do with Blat? I have installed it on several of our clients' Exchange servers and have a post-processing script in BackupExec that mails me the backup log at the end of the job for each client. As I understand it the "from" address just has to be defined, not necessarily a valid address (we tested it from 'john_doe@adomain.com' and it worked just fine). I have tried the -u and -pw switches but I can't remember if it worked for me (or that I understood it properly). I will test it and reply.

I will be glad to help in any way that I can.

I set up my Exchange server so it requires authentication (so it wont be an open relay). Therefore, if BLAT just passes a "FROM" address (even a valid one) and the "TO" address is a recipient whose account is not local to the Exchange server, the message is rejected because the Exchange server will not relay unless you are an authenticated user. So, I assume you either have an open relay, or figured out how to configure Exchange to work with BLAT locally some how. I couldn't figure this out (the way it sounds like you have). However, I managed to insert some code into the CGI program I was using (even though I know little about CGI) so that it passes the -u and -pw parameters to BLAT, and then BLAT authenticates on the Exchange server. It works fine. But, I would really like to know how you set up Exchange so that it accepts mail from local programs, like the backup program, since I would like to generate email messages from other local programs as well. It sounds like you just wrote a batch file that executes NT's built in backup program, and then emails the text file log(s)? Does the "TO" (recipient's) account (yours I guess) reside on the Exchange server? Will the script work if you try to change the recipient to an non-local email account (that is, can you relay)?

We are configured the same way. If I try to blat a file to my personal isp account Exchange will get rejected. Assuming nothing, did you do the 'blat -install'? If not, you need to do this or create a reg file to perform the same thing:

BLAT.REG file contents:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Public Domain]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Public Domain\Blat]
&quot;SMTP server&quot;=&quot;0.0.0.0&quot; <- IP address of your Exch. svr
&quot;Sender&quot;=&quot;Administrator@yourdomain.com&quot;
&quot;SMTP Port&quot;=&quot;25&quot;
&quot;Try&quot;=&quot;1&quot;

put blat.exe in c:\winnt\system32 of the exchange server
run blat.reg on the exchange server to create the key (the result of running 'blat -install'

I wrote a CMD script as a post-process command for BackupExec that picks out the appropriate backup log file and emails it to me. Our Oracle DBA's are now doing the same thing for the Oracle hot backups on our clients' servers.

Yes, my account resides on the Exchange server. If I had to get it to a &quot;foreign&quot; account I would set up a rule in Outlook to handle this.

And I agree, blat documentation gave me a headache! I kept pounding away until I managed to get it to work. I can email you a copy of the script if you want. Hope this helps.

Yes I did the BLAT install and it works just fine. As I said, I ended up putting the BLAT AUTHentication tags in the CGI script of the program calling up BLAT. It works. I appreciate your further explanation of your configuration, and that is consistent with what I am experiencing. I like the idea of sending the email to a foriegn account via Outlook message rules though. That is a great work around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back