Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing aprameters from a REXX to another Rexx 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatoriver

Programmer
Mar 23, 2009
US
Hello everyone, I am trying to pass in a isredit macro a parameter from a rexx to another independet rexx(not a rutine)

I would like to start the first rexx save some values into a system variable if is there any variiable for this. And then read it from another rexx. Is this possible or i am just asking for to much?

Many thanks,
ignacio

Hi tatoriver,

It depends on platform - I'm using REXX only on PC and on iSeries.

1. On the PC I would do it so, that the first REXX program writes the parameter into a file and the second REXX programm could then read that parameter from that file.

The other possible way is to use rxqueue (REXX-Queue)
See e.g.

2. On the iSeries it would be possible to use external dataqueue
or write the parameter into a source physical file member, or into a stream file in IFS (Integrated File System).
But IMHO the simplest way is to use a special object supported at the control language level called DTAARA (Data Area)

But I don't know if mainframe has something like queue buffers or data areas - maybe look into your REXX manual.

You should use the SHARED variable pool to pass such parameters. VPUT to the pool and have the macro VGET the values.

Frank Clarke
--America's source for adverse opinions since 1943.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back