Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing a Variable to a text box in a Report, possible? Easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptCrusty1

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
US
I have a variable strText (DIM strText as String) that I populate with a string. I want to pass this value to a textbox when the report opens. I used.....:

txtMyBox.text = strText, however it says I can't do that.

Next I tried

Report_rptMyReport.txtMyBox = strText and it tells me an Object is required. Any ideas?

Better yet.... the VBA while-loop I use to populate the string with, is it possible to run it directly from the textbox, or something like that?

Thanks
Rich.

If you have an unbound text box in a report's header section, you would use code in the On Format event of the section like:
Me.txtMyBox = strText

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

What about in the body of the report?

(whispering - How long have you been doing this stuff? In Access)

RK

dhookom... it didn't work. Here's my code:

Private Sub ReportHeader_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)

Dim strText As String

'Selects Locations in tblDestinationLoc and Concatenates as a string
With CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("tblDestinationLoc")
Do Until .EOF
strText = strText & "'" & .Fields("Location_Num") & "', "
.MoveNext
Loop
End With

'removes trailing spaces and extra comma
lenStrLength = Len(strText)

'Assigns stripped string value to Variable
strText = Left(strText, (Len(strText) - 2))

Me.txtLocTest.SetFocus
Me.txtLocTest.Text = strText

My client is really pushing on this, I'm not sure why. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks.
Richard.

End Sub

You can't set the focus to a control on a report. Also, the Text property is rarely if ever used in Access and never in an Access report.

Why would you not use what I suggested?
Me.txtMyBox = strText

Where is your text box located (which section)?

There is a generic Concatenate function at that could be used. You would then just add a text box with a control source of:
=Concatenate("SELECT Location_Num FROM tblDestinationLoc")

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

I think I misunderstood. I just now realized that your code Me.txtMyBox = strText. If you look at my last line, I did use what you suggested, however, I didn't see that "text" was not part of it. Also, I included the rest of the code to show you what was being assigned to the strText variable. The generic concatenate function was giving me fits. I couldn't make it work for some reason. Thats why I wrote the while looop. I"ll try again using your code, spelled correctly this time.

Thanks again.
Rich.

I came searching for exactly the same topic and problem. Using dhookom's suggestion, I attached this code to the Report Header OnFormat event. (Note that I'm using a label rather than a text box, but the ideas's the same. Ignore the Select Case logic.

This worked fine.
Code:
Private Sub ReportHeader_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
'       LBLTitle is a label control 

Select Case [Forms]![frmEOHReport]!oleEOHReportBy
            Case 1
                Me.Caption = "Statistics by Foo"
                Me.LBLTitle.Caption = "Statistics by Foo"
            Case 2
                Me.Caption = "Statistics by Bar"
                Me.LBLTitle.Caption = "Statistics by Bar"
            Case 3
                Me.Caption = "Statistics by Bozo"
                Me.LBLTitle.Caption = "Statistics by Bozo"
        End Select

End Sub

Thanks for the help

Crusty, did you get your problem resolved? If not, are you sure that your strText is pulling the data? You can check by adding a "MsgBox strText" in the code. If this works, then forget about "txtMyBox.text = strText" and try this...
Code:
[txtMyBox] = strText

Let me know if that works

Xavier

----------------------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning"
Rick Cook
----------------------------------------

Rich,
You might want to try open the Debug window (Press Ctrl+G) and enter
Code:
? Concatenate("SELECT Location_Num FROM tblDestinationLoc")
See if you get a list of your Location_Num values. What do you see if you paste this sql in to the SQL view of a query:
[tt]
SELECT Location_Num FROM tblDestinationLoc
[/tt]

Duane MS Access MVP

How would you go about changing the value of a text box in a report, from a form which opens that report?

ie.
Form_button_click:
open report
set text box value on report to something

The control would need to be unbound. Your code might look like:

Me.txtUnBoundBox= Forms!frmYourForm!txtYourTextBox

Duane MS Access MVP

So that code would go in the report, and gets the value from the form... what about putting code in the form, that sets the value in the report?

I tried reversing it:
Reports!rptMyReport!txtMyTextBox = Me.txtMyFormTextBox

but it didn't do anything :(

I can probably use your method to do what I want. But I'd still like to know how to do it the other way.

Is there a reason you don't add a text box on the report with an expression like:
=Forms!frmYourForm!txtYourTextBox

Duane MS Access MVP

Hi guys.. The problem fixed itself when the client changed his mind. No more Form, no more box... very simple solution don't you think? But... I do enjoy reading your entries which are obviously more experienced than my own.

RK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back