Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passed the Net +

Status
Not open for further replies.

netbios

Technical User
Dec 2, 2005
US
Well I passed the Net+ on the first try! Now I need to get some dam experience in the field. Any advice anyone? Oh and any recommendations on what cert to work on next. I value the advice given in here.

Thanks ahead of time

Chuck

Chuck,

GREAT job!!

Next - nothing says networking like Cisco certs!

If you are into networking, I would move on and get your CCNA but your next cert is really based on what you want to do.

If you have little experience you also should consider A+ - most entry level jobs for computer tech/network techs are looking for A+ and CCNA.

As for experience check your local community college for both tech classes with hands on equipment as well as a job in one of the computer labs.

I work at a community college maintaning about 500 Dell computers and lots of Cisco routers and switches - my techs get lots of hands on "On The Job Training" including repairing computers as well as cabling several classrooms.

Good luck on whatever you do!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

thanks Ciscoguy

I was leaning toward ccna. My dad found a Cisco boot camp he wants to enlist in and I was thinking of joining him.

Chuck

Since you had no experience, what resources did you use to pass the test?

I graduated from a vocational school. Thats where I got some hands on training. But you know only a basic Lan or Extranet environment. I used the Networ + 2005 sybex study guide, with virtual lab software to study for the exam. I recommend that book.

Hope that sums it up for ya Robyne

Chuck

Chuck,

I would NOT waste your money on a Cisco boot camp now!

You said that you need EXPERIENCE - Cisco boot camps are for people who have a VERY STRONG BACKGROUND IN CISCO already - the boot camp helps them cram for an exam. People who DO NOT have the background end up as "paper" CCNAs - might learn enough to pass the exam but .........

I had a student who did the boot camp and passed the CCNA - went to several interviews and got BLOWN AWAY by the tech questions - they all told him to come back when he was no longer a "paper" CCNA.

Go to the Cisco site and follow the links to the Cisco Network Academy program - they have Cisco Network Academys all over the world and they teach hands-on Cisco training for people who do not have the strong background in Cisco yet!

I have had some students (I teach in a Cisco Network Academy) with very strong backgrounds in networking and even Cisco - and they all said they learned things that they just never had time for on the job!!

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I will take that into consideration.

Thanks
Cisco Guy

netbios,

Congratulations! I passed it too on the first try, but that was before the latest revision.

The best advice that I can give, if you want experience to put on your resume to go along with that Net+ cert, is to find a staffing company that could get you some part time work. You may have difficulty getting a full time networking job with just the Net+ and no experience, but some part time work in the field can help with the experience part.

Good luck!

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back