Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passed 70-270, Failed 70-290

Status
Not open for further replies.

MITPRO

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2006
US
Hey Guys

I took the 70-270 yesterday and the 70-290 today.

Passed 70-270 with a 900
Failed 70-290 with a 651

I will be retaking the 70-290 on the 24th. I kow where my mistakes were. Anyone that take this exam, please know your hands on. I got at least 10 Simulation questions out of 45 question. I believe the Sims is what got me a little. Besides that, i am not upset about the fail, because i know i will pass it the second round.

I am currently in my training courses for the 70-291 and 70-293.

Do not pray to have an easier life, pray to be a stronger man!!!

Comptia A+, Comptia Network +, MCP

MITPRO,

The increase in difficulty from the 70-270 to the 70-290 takes many people by surprise. A thorough familiarity with DNS and DHCP and how they function in a Windows Server 2003 environment is necessary to pass the exam.

I took this exam years ago, so I can't offer you any specific advice about the questions, but my experience has been that Transcenders are very good for preparing you for the type of questions that you'll encounter.

Besides, you've seen what you're up against, which has some value even if you didn't pass the first time around.

Good luck with your next round!

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security 2003

MITPRO,

I took the 290 exam back in june this year.
I found the sims were mainly on sus and wsus. but failing with a score of 651, your almost there. i found they hit me hard on backups, and alot of questions from the xp exam as well really.

i found measureup.com a good place to start and agree with wishdiak about transcender, the questions are very close to the actual material i find, but thats the same with 291 as well.

maybe some else could through some light on the subject. i've taken a couple of other since so my memory is a little hazy..

good luck

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Thanks for your input guys.

Other than basic wsus stuff (what to backup and where its installed) is there a big emphasis on the 290? I have it booked for next Weds (26th), I have been taking the transcenders and doing fairly well, and DHCP?? I guess I really didnt know that was much on the test, I spose I will have to hammer that out a bit more as well. I have the cbtnuggets video series and didnt notice a DHCP nugget thats why I am curious?? Thanks!

Cory

i dont think i was tested on dhcp, until 291. the only dns Q i had was how to create an A record....

i was told the wsus questions didnt actually count, as they were there for MS, and not a real part of the exam. i had 10 of these. but i didnt take the risk, and swated accordingly.

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

MCSA 2003:Sec+

So far, i have been using the TestOut simulation material for my hands-on. I give this material an A+ as far as content. It really drills you on everything to do with Server 2003. I felt like i was really configuring a server in real-time. If you have not heard of Testout, you can go to there website
This software is worth it. Especially for how the test are designed. I used it for xp, but not for server 2003. I am using the software now, and my chances of passing have increased greatly.

I just took the 290 exam today and there were no DHCP questions. I had a lot of permissions, and disaster recovery questions. There were very few questions about partitions and volumes. I got 5 sim questions and they were all about ADUC like copying a user, creating new users, setting up group memberships, and allowing logons to all workstation. It was pretty difficult but I have NOOO hands on experience in a networked environment, that and the fact that I took 270 before taking this one. With the right amount of studying it would have been a breeze but I'll admit that I slacked off a bit.

I finally passed the 70-290. I passed with an 885! I am glad that is over. Thanks to test out, the sims were a breeze. I just order the whole testout package online. Testout is a great way to get hands-on experience and receive class sims that actually show you what to do. The questions are not half bad either.

I am enjoying the thread! Does anyone know how many questions are on the 290 & 291 tests and which one of the two (if any is easier than the other). I am looking to take one of them, but without much real life experiences in managing a 2003 server environment.

Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I have been studying for the 291 on and off since May and have just started really hitting it hard the last 2 weeks since I am scheduled to sit Nov 14th. I will say this exam covers a breadth of technical knowledge which far surpassed the 290. When I took the 290 it was covered under an overall umbrella of ADUC, Permissions, Backups. From what I have read on the 291 and studied, the subject matter gets more granular, knowing everything about DNS, alot on RRAS and then the DHCP IPSec and WSUS, with a sprinkle of subnetting... This test should definetly not be takin lightly and if you have 0 real world experience a lab is a MUST. VMServer for the win here.

Cory

I agree with Cstorms - as far as which exam has more questions, I would say they're about equal.

There were 45 questions on the 290. About 6 to 8 were sims. So know your hands-on! Mainly for the sims, know permissions, how to add users and groups, and disaster recovery (Backup: incremental, differential, normal, copy), auditing.

I am currently studying for 291 and 293 at the same time. I am going to take them both in the same week. Can it be done? You do anything you want if you are driven. So buckle down and work hard. I still will say, Testout is a helpful tool for anyone who does not have any experince. Using Testout allows you to obtain Experienced Based Training (EBT) rather just Class Based Training (CBT). You get both. From the A+ thru all the advanced certs, Testout has my #1 vote.

MITPRO said:
I am currently studying for 291 and 293 at the same time. I am going to take them both in the same week. Can it be done?
It can certainly be done. I found many of the questions on 70-293 to repeat the same concepts as 70-290 and 70-291. Good luck!

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back