Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passed 642:801 BSCI!!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes all 640-60x series are few moths out of date already. Check for new ones at:

For anyone interested, I have passed my CCNP on first attempt about 2 months ago. I scheduled my tests in following way:

1.) CCNP composite - it is less money, but more work because it is BCSI+BCMSN together. I took also this because it is required when recertifying... I wanted to know how it will look like
2.) BCRAN - this one was easiest, they just asked me a basic theory and stuff, make sure you know Frame Relay, ISDN, async, something from VPN (basic) and something about QoS (also basic - I thought they would test me more in this one... I was wrong:), got two simulations, one simple NAT, one reverse telnet
3.) CIT - what to tell you... this was the hardest. They really tested not only my knowledge, but also my experience. For everybody preparing for this one, take your time and get as most practise as you can - simulations are not hard, but multichoice questions were hard

And my results - so I can maybe help you weight the tests:
1.)BCRAN highest
2.)CIT middle
3.)Composite lowest

For all of you getting ready for CCNP - good luck and remember, experience will greatly assist you, even if you the theory is not your strong point. And don't worry about the simulation questions - they were the easiest part of each test... well at least for me, and I quite enjoyed them (I would even like if there are more of them on the test)

And for all of you trying to prepare just by reading the study guides (I hope no one is...) - don't think that just by reading them you'll pass the test... you'll get surprised:)

My next stop - CCIP (I want to do MPLS, QoS and VPNs as my final project in last year of undergraduate study) or CCIE routing and switching - whichever I will have time to prepare for and enjoy studying more:)

Cheers;@)

Peter Mesjar
CCNP, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

I have tanked the BSCI test 3 times. All the other 3 tests required for the CCNP our passed and done. Not sure where I'm messing up, but the sims seem to be the tough part. They would seem to be simple tasks involving OSPF, NAT, etc. One thing wierd is my configs created during the sim, were not showing up after a "show run".....

Will continue to take this exam! Victory or death!

coffeejim,

You need to type "copy run start" after you've finished your configuration on any router. If you don't do this, the new config won't appear with "show run" and most importantly, you won't get any points for the simulator question.

you serious?
wow, i did not know that. i don't remember if i did issue that "copy run start" command on all of my simulation exam.
will, next time i take an exam, i know what to do.

Microbyte
[medal][medal][medal][medal]

Jinxterie - maybe it is just a typo but:

"copy run start" will have no effect on the output of "show run" command

Anyway I don't remember I needed to use any of copy commands - to make myself sure before I submitted the simulator, I have double-chcecked my sh run and have never came up with clear config.

Peter Mesjar
CCNP, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

Argghh! Failed BSCI just today for the 3rd time! Pardon the crude intro. I just joined the site, after finding this thread via google. I'm working on my CCNP right now. I took and passed BCMSN the first time. Then went onto BSCI. Yes, as everyone says, BSCI is horrible.

Nonetheless, I'm rethinking my study strategies. I wanted to know if anyone can recommend a good study guide for BSCI. The first book I got was the Cisco Press Certification Guide (Clare Gough). As this thread mentions, the NAT sim comes up. That's NOWHERE in the the cert guide (technology, yes; configuration, no). So I bought Exam Cram. A little better, but failed twice since having both books (BSCI scores: 744, 740, 740). So, if anyone can give a tip, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Well I guess you had a book for older exam. Check out this one:

If you are considering a book, one word - CiscoPress:)

Peter Mesjar
CCNP, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

Jujst failed BSCI. Got 763 and they wanted 767. The simulations were a nightmare I got 3, 2 for OSPF and 1 for NAT. One of the OSPF seemed like a simple configuration - 2 routers connected over a serial link 2 hosts connected to each router via ethernet. Single area OSPF so it should have been no problem, however, no matter what I did I could not get OSPF to work. Has anyone had to do this simulation and if so did they get it to work? All I did was start the OSPF routing process and then add the networks with the exact wildcard masks to match the subnet masks of the IP addresses and it didn't work.

I agree with headlessringmaster, the Cisco press books by Clare Gough are missing some crucial information including NAT and some of the BGP commands that came up in the exam. I have both the 642-801 study guide and exam certification guide which I have been through from cover to cover and there are many things missing that are in the exam. Also, some of the test questions are wrong and some of test simulations on the CD don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back