Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pass Value & Calculate on Web Part Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedownsjr

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
US
Could anyone suggest any ways to perform a calculation on a web part page to take a beginning balance pulled from a SharePoint list + list items from another SharePoint list to arrive at an ending balance that is calculated & displayed on the page?

The web part page should look something like this:

Beginning Balance XXX (from a SP list)
List Item 1 XX (these list items
List Item 2 XX are from another
List Item 3 XX SharePoint list)
Ending Balance XXX (this is calculated)

Basically I am trying to figure out how to take the beg. bal. number from the first list, add the items in the second list, then calculate & display an ending balance on the web part page. I'm just not sure how to pass the data between the web parts and perform the calculation.

System: MOSS 2007. No access to server for coding. No access to Central Admin. I do have access to SharePoint Designer and full administrative rights to the SharePoint site.

Maybe DVWP?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Jed,

DVWP is the way to go for this. Have a separate DVWP for each list, output totals to a JavaScript variable in the DVWP.

You can then use these variables to then calculate the totals and display them...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not quite sure how to use JavaScript to pass values between DVWPs but it give me something to research and that sounds like it should work. I appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back